Deck build. Above below or even with pool coping/top rail

Wallyneubig

Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Wazzup, about to build a deck for AGP. I can’t find a straight answer in regards as to where to install decking. Most common answer has been below with a small gap for winter cover. I’m worried about the coping getting damaged. Just looking for ideas/thoughts etc. also I’m starting construction in the morning. Any immediate answers are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I wanted the deck above but we were really worried about not having enough space for the cover or if we needed to remove the rail to do a liner replacement. I did not want to have to take the decking boards off in order to get to the rail. I spoke to two contractors to try to figure out how to make it work and finally decided to stay below the rail and do a box step over the rail to protect it. The steps work awesome and can be removed to work on the rail. We will be extending it across the deck as sometimes kids still try to go around the step and over the rail!61970591_10157336133752813_505107489952366592_o.jpg

Reactions: mariane and Ej3bbbc
We went two levels. One just above and one a good step below. There were pros and cons of doing it like this. I liked the look overall but I think having it all one level would have been a better use of the sq footage. If I ever did it again, I would do all the same level with the deck above the rails (leave enough room for cover).

oQJUi6wwjFSVDdHnWAg3b4u7H4OfU3WGSzqkUcD9A33q8XBE9QJn2FFMhsIrsO5WV4HokE0HPF65crwXPRzuDxEAcqewXtjt37soqa-YBWbKWfI-ZlcT6DDY-pdyJ5P8icTzYQ7QvJcSU38AQfqX9hHOrY01jN7sLiIoN5OGrEQNnPYy2KtoFYBYboA6_TSnQkKKqpeErH1tBx0bt1nQbTAbj9ng4_x_GTsFNw7aGB758Ml2kVLn2MsRnNrnA5uGE1ZJPSnIUp3m5ddtcHskxjs9uFzs2535tI0xzs_gVoQDwOHjdfU_YyakY6ogcZ2QBMS7vkmWKjmbmw7TfUqgYAK8hgyg6QUbp6kttZtU7sSEtrapnmTLP-hpSzndzPWThWKsa_3dZSgHQZY-0SxCMGpv5zWTiF6SsJw9_bYGfZ2Ux2uJceE2FBH57NIrSK8BYScEOFDon3SkBICPoC3RoPQVJKpOCNElSe-oRbvUzG9wsC0tyeIPeMasqIkDc8SRCBlPGIBWwVD1YQX8u0LE8178Oqf21vRdhl7szJqCQ6D1f_xgALP0E_QBQ_uVwPN-FguO7J-QP56qWLXKZU9fAn3gF0YYnwxYjCOuONSN-QW6DU5AS2x1ysYz5p1fDFHcQvDxG_iTICENOt5i_7m8tWbV04-PcbRoXDXSBw6CAJ96PjMEyFkzY-ucY0dRyYfPpYykz7c5LR6mkpEGW8sFRETr5DgvqHIV1K_uWN9YGshLvyuWC8fJ1Wo=w1181-h664-no

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What’s the story on the tile? I’ve never seen that before and am in the process of a new build myself and stuck contemplating composite vs PT wood.
When we purchased our home the deck was in terrible condition so we applied Deck Restore on it but it didn't seem to adhere very well in some areas and was peeling/flaking so we decided to lay interlocking drain tiles to solve the problem w/out having to tear out and replace the entire deck. Our deck is very large, pictures are only showing the deck around our pool but there is way more decking than that. We purchased our tiles from Sam's Club online but Amazon has them now too Amazon.com: MODUTILE Interlocking Perforated/Drain Floor Tiles - 30 sq.ft. (Beige): Home & Kitchen

Reactions: GlynH
Curious about the tile?
When we purchased our home the deck was in terrible condition so we applied Deck Restore on it but it didn't seem to adhere very well in some areas and was peeling/flaking so we decided to lay interlocking drain tiles to solve the problem w/out having to tear out and replace the entire deck. Our deck is very large, pictures are only showing the deck around our pool but there is way more decking than that. We purchased our tiles from Sam's Club online but Amazon has them now too Amazon.com: MODUTILE Interlocking Perforated/Drain Floor Tiles - 30 sq.ft. (Beige): Home & Kitchen

Cool idea, are you happy with them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.