Deciding on a Chlorinator - but what about overstabilization because of the pucks

meestahmarc

Jun 7, 2018
Paramus, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - my first post of the year, LOL...

I've been thinking about getting a offline chlorinator (installing it myself) for a year now.

I don't think the installation will be hard, but what I am struggling to understand is how do you think about your CYA levels when using the 3" pucks. A few years ago, my first year with the pool, I was using the pucks and as the season went on my CYA levels kept going up and up and up, to the point where I was over 100 (iirc). So wondering if I use the pucks in an offline chlorinator, won't I run into the same issue. After my first experience, I think switched to a mix of liquid chlorine and shock - which i don't think were then adding any cyanuric acid.

I'm not ready to switch to salt yet, but definitely want to be able to leave my pool for a week and not worry about the chlorine levels dropping too low.

Thanks.

So wondering if I use the pucks in an offline chlorinator, won't I run into the same issue
To make them last, (release slowly) the pucks are either stabilized with CYA or Calcium. You will raise either accordingly with use.

what you want is a stenner chlorine pump which is filled with liquid and doses for you like a low tech SWG. @Bama Rambler loves his.

Last edited:
Chlorine tablets and many of the powdered shock products are stabilized and therefore increase your CYA. No getting around it. The PoolMath APP can help tell you how much stabilizer each tablet or bag of powder will add, but it will grow fairly quickly. For pools in regions that receive a lot of rain and experience water overflow/exchange, they may get away with the tabs for a while, especially if they have a short swim season. But for most, tabs are only meant for short-term use. That's why we rely on liquid chlorine or salt water generators that do not add stabilizers to the water.

If your shock is not adding CYA, then it is a Cal-Hypo product that adds calcium. Any product other than liquid chlorine or a SWCG is going to add extra stuff to your water and is not sustainable for every day use without needing to drain water on a regular basis.

Yes, you are both reiterating my point about overstabilization.

So, I wonder if the offline/inline chlorinator is even worth it? What's the point if I have to dial it down or if only meant for short-term use.

I like the Stenner tank / pump. Looks easy to install and I think I have the space, although I don't see footprint dimensions for the 15 gallon tank.

I also think its worth getting the adjustable flow pump, so I can dial it up/down depending on how long I am running my pump (will allow me to better fine tune things and mix in some use of the pucks).

Reactions: Newdude
Exactly why TFP doesn't recommend the chlorinators.

You can use a floater for pucks if you go on vacation. Occasional short term use like that isn't a problem. Plus, floaters are cheaper than the inline chlorinators, and there's no concerns with leaks.

If you want almost no maintenance, you want an SWG. Stenner pumps are an option, but not super popular - you still have to haul and pour all that chlorine. For the cheapest immediate cost, just pour liquid chlorine in daily - that's what I do, and lots of other forum members, too.

There are periods of time when I am not there everyday/week. I'm just not convinced I want the SWG. My pool decking/coping is old concrete and white quartzite (all in great condition). I don't want to introduce salt in the air (we can debate this later).

I will get the Stenner pump (I don't mind to pour in the liquid chlorine).

So more decisions to be made considering my pool is 35k gallons:

Pool math says I would need about 1/2 gallon per day to add +1(and change) to my chlorine level

a) 15g vs 30g. I suppose 15g would be enough if adding 1/2 gallon is right.

b) I think variable output pump is worth the additional few $$$

c) 2hp vs 10hp pump, the 2hp tops out at 3 gallons per day (so if I am running my pump 8 hours - this would give me a max of 1 gallon per day). I suppose that would be enough if I only need 1/2 gallon. The 10hp given me a much bigger adjustment window, but I wonder about the electric usage, if I am always running the larger 10hp pump.

Thoughts. Thanks.

but I wonder about the electric usage, if I am always running the larger 10hp pump.
I’m pretty sure that moving such a small amount of liquid, even for the big model, would require next to no noticeable energy usage. It’s like a VS pump in super slow motion adding drips and not dozens of gallons a minute.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I spoke to someone on the phone. It's actually the same pump, but uses different tube sizing. They design them to be interchangeable, which is great because I can start with the smaller size hose and if I feel I need bigger, I can go bigger.

I also think I can use the 25psi on the return side, no need for the 100psi.

If I run the system on max setting for 8 hours a day, I can get 1GPD out max. That would boost my FC from 0 to 2.6, I don't think I would consistently need a gallon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.