Deciding between PB and Owner Build! Help with prices inside...

I think it's because we have like 20 or more pool builders out here between Phoenix, Mesa, and Tucson. Many very competitive and experienced and a lot have been here for 20+ years. So lots and lots of pools everywhere. Even in my neighborhood, which has 3+ community HOA pools already, has about 30-40% of the houses with their own pools.

So maybe we're just a really big market because of the very hot long summers and spring, short temperate winters (no need to winterize pools)? Competition is good! That's my only guess.

Edit: Hey you're further east in Texas, couldn't you get away with making a cheaper vinyl liner pool? I would have loved to do a cheaper vinyl pool like I had when I lived in Georgia, but apparently they melt in AZ???? :confused: lol

You could do a liner pool in Austin, but I hate dealing with rips, holes, leaks. The sun is also pretty intense here. That being said, the pool shell part of my Gunite pool ran something like (5.5k gunite, 5k pebble, 3k steel and form), so if you take those out, the patio, digging, and pool equipment were the main expenses. Don't know how much would have been saved. I just wonder in these various costs where the bulk of the cost savings in Pheonix come from. Typical margins are 25-30% in Austin. I wonder if builders there are just not making as much or what.

You could do a liner pool in Austin, but I hate dealing with rips, holes, leaks. The sun is also pretty intense here. That being said, the pool shell part of my Gunite pool ran something like (5.5k gunite, 5k pebble, 3k steel and form), so if you take those out, the patio, digging, and pool equipment were the main expenses. Don't know how much would have been saved. I just wonder in these various costs where the bulk of the cost savings in Pheonix come from. Typical margins are 25-30% in Austin. I wonder if builders there are just not making as much or what.

I have been wondering the same thing! Why are the prices so different in Texas? It's insane. (The difference in price). It must be the competition.
As for vinyl liners, I just wanted gunite. So that was not an option for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me to update, the 1st PB actually contacted me again and asked to price match :confused: We decided to turn him down though, because overall his prices were higher on both sq/perimeter and features, so even if he price matched the original quote, I'm sure we would have run it up further on any adjustments.

So we changed the shape to rectangular because of the constraints of our lot. This created more room for a larger baja step, and puts the pool within diving standards for a diving board :) I think the geometric straight lines compliment the house and view fence well, too.

How the pool is looking now:

34 x 15
Perimeter 108'
553 sq ft
3'8" - 8'6" deep

Hayward Ecostar VS pump
Hayward 4.9sqft Sand filter
Hayward Aquarite salt chlorination T-15
Dec-Chlor System (in case we ever swap to regular chlorination, I guess)
Eco-smart Ozone system (not even sure if this thing works, but it was included. PB claims it helps the salt system live longer)
Color logic LED pool light

AA in Floor cleaners
2 Eco-skim skimmers, 5 returns
2.5" plumbing
Separate plumbing for main drain and skimmers
Auto Water leveler

Pebble Sheen - Blue Surf
6" waterline tile

4' sheer descent waterfall
Baja step bubbler (PB forgot to model it in pic below)

Acrylic decking (looking to upgrade to all travertine, depending on if we get a hard dig or not.. cross your fingers)

Price: ~34k

2he94ex.jpg

Feeling pretty good about it thus far!! Have not finalized any drawings, need to sort out a few questions. We're also considering adding 1 more foot to width of the pool to make it 34x16. Still need to add landscaping afterwards, and I'm really hoping to add travertine!

I know it technically falls within the diving pool code, but do you guys think this pool is big enough for a diving board at 34x15? The PB has shown some hesitation in making a diving pool at this size. They just don't make many diving pools anymore I guess...

I like the shape! It does look good there!

Do not allow him to add the Eco-smart Ozone system. It is a waste of money and effort and space. Please do some searches on here (upper right hand side search box). You will soon find out why.

Kim

The ozone was included as part of the base package, so we're not paying extra for it. Perhaps we could get a credit for removing it. Hmm.

Yeah, I'll do some research on it :) PB says it's great to help the salt chlorinator's lifespan, blah blah...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.