Decided to try a solid cover for my AGP. Help!

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I decided to try something different and buy a solid cover this year. I already bought a great pump for it off Amazon. I just need help selecting a cover for my 18’ above ground pool! Need something durable but affordable! Does anyone know of any websites currently having sales on winter covers? I have a really nice mesh cover I bought from In The Swim a couple years ago and it was ok but I’m curious to try a solid one this year. We sometimes get a lot of snow and sometimes have unseasonably warm winters with not a lot of snow. Winters are very unpredictable in Central Ohio, unlike Northern Ohio, which is guaranteed to have heavy lake-effect snow. We typically get a lot of rain ever year, though. Are solid covers a huge PITA? Any advice? Need your recommendations and opinions! Thanks in advance!

- The Late Closing Float Queen

Last edited:
Get the cheapest solid cover you can find. Then, throw it out next spring. An 18' cover should be less than $40. When I had an AGP, I would try to get multiple seasons out of a "good" winter cover. Cleaning it was a pain in the spring, and, eventually, it would get holes from birds walking on it and foul up the pool water. I decided to treat the winter cover as part of my closing costs and always opened to clear water.

Get the cheapest solid cover you can find. Then, throw it out next spring. An 18' cover should be less than $40. When I had an AGP, I would try to get multiple seasons out of a "good" winter cover. Cleaning it was a pain in the spring, and, eventually, it would get holes from birds walking on it and foul up the pool water. I decided to treat the winter cover as part of my closing costs and always opened to clear water.
A lot of them have 10+ year warranties. I’m trying to find a cheap one but I don’t want it to blow off during the strong winds. Any ideas where to look for a cheap-o? Amazon maybe? All these websites want like $70+ for the cheapest one lol

Get the cheapest one as mentioned above & plan to replace every year/every other year, the robelle one I had luckily lasted 3 winters but ripped upon removal on the 3rd year.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Agree, go cheap, it will last at least one winter for sure. I've had occasions where they last 3 seasons, but I've got a 30 ft pool and cleaning it in spring can be a pain. I've just spread it out in my driveway/ front yard, get a bucket and mop and soap it up then power wash rinse, but then need to let it dry, and ughhhhh, I almost wished it would rip in season 1 so I could just toss it! But at $120 or whatever for my size pool, I'll go 2 seasons before tossing it guilt free.

I've always used a solid cover, you do need to pump off water a few times in the off-season, but it isn't bad. I always open to clear water and usually a FC level of 4-6.

Agree, go cheap, it will last at least one winter for sure. I've had occasions where they last 3 seasons, but I've got a 30 ft pool and cleaning it in spring can be a pain. I've just spread it out in my driveway/ front yard, get a bucket and mop and soap it up then power wash rinse, but then need to let it dry, and ughhhhh, I almost wished it would rip in season 1 so I could just toss it! But at $120 or whatever for my size pool, I'll go 2 seasons before tossing it guilt free.

I've always used a solid cover, you do need to pump off water a few times in the off-season, but it isn't bad. I always open to clear water and usually a FC level of 4-6.
They sell a cover cleaner that can be put in a spray bottle. If you want to re use the cover, once you rinse your cover and it is nearly dry, you can spray the cover cleaner on the cover as you fold it up and that will keep the cover from getting a funky smell sitting all winter long. I used to do that when I would try to salvage my winter covers. I also did the same with my solar covers, as I would usually get 3-4 seasons out of them.

24ACA45A-7A00-4C39-92D2-953D2C06DCDB.jpeg

Will be here on Sunday! I’m delaying closing another week since temperatures are going to be in the low to mid 70s and sunny all of next week and unseasonably warm at night. So more leaf scoopage for me. 🙄 It was $40.21 after tax and free Prime shipping. So glad I asked y’all and went the cheap route!! This is my first time using a solid cover.

Next question….I assume I need a pool pillow and found some with great reviews. Should I get the 2 pack or do I only need one? This is the one I’ve been looking at:
BFD0BF8C-CA3E-4972-A7B3-3758B1CFB275.png
Thanks in advance!!!!!

Attachments

• B307C43B-4616-47B9-8116-B472C0387695.png
    B307C43B-4616-47B9-8116-B472C0387695.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 2
Good on ya float queen! I know many are completely satisfied with the mesh covers and I've never tried them but I just prefer to keep fall and spring droppings out of my TFP clear water!!

I've found that you always want to keep some water on the cover to prevent it from parachuting and ripping off in high winds. The black plastic clips work really well against that.

Pool pillow.... I've used one most years, but decided not to this year. They often deflate, or don't stay in the middle unless you secure them in some way. They definitely help in terms of keeping the water on the cover out of the middle and towards side making it a bit easier to drain, but they are optional.

Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Next question….I assume
You know what they say, and it holds true yet again.

Most people give up on pillows eventually and once they do, the world keeps spinning and they never go back. Ice expands upward, not inward where the pillow rests. So the ice simply raises the pillow as it freezes. The thought that the pillow being held 2 inches into the water helps, is kinda silly when the ice is a foot thick in cold winters. Maybe in the few places that close that only get an inch or two of ice, it would absorb the freezing like a big skimmet gizzmo, but even then, an inch or two of ice with an open top isn't going to damage the pool.

Anywho, they *do* create a moat, making it easier for height challanged individuals to pump off the cover water. You may want to use one for that reason alone. :)

Also, if you like the cover when it comes, buy several. Like 12 of them. It's possible they remain at $37 but they will most likely be more expensive next year(s).

You know what they say, and it holds true yet again.

Most people give up on pillows eventually and once they do, the world keeps spinning and they never go back. Ice expands upward, not inward where the pillow rests. So the ice simply raises the pillow as it freezes. The thought that the pillow being held 2 inches into the water helps, is kinda silly when the ice is a foot thick in cold winters. Maybe in the few places that close that only get an inch or two of ice, it would absorb the freezing like a big skimmet gizzmo, but even then, an inch or two of ice with an open top isn't going to damage the pool.

Anywho, they *do* create a moat, making it easier for height challanged individuals to pump off the cover water. You may want to use one for that reason alone. :)

Also, if you like the cover when it comes, buy several. Like 12 of them. It's possible they remain at $37 but they will most likely be more expensive next year(s).
I am definitely height challenged lol 5’3”

If you decide you need a pillow & wish to be thrifty you can go with a large inner tube type float - that’s probably on clearance right now.
Whatever you use, don’t over inflate it, it’s job is to get squished. If you make it tight it will just pop.
Personally, I am team no pillow..
YMMV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.