Decided to Build First Pool this Spring

IMG_2173-1.jpg

IMG_2179-1.jpg

IMG_2183-1.jpg

IMG_2202-1.jpg

IMG_2195-1.jpg

IMG_2200-1.jpg

No one told us we would be able to see the seems in the liner.

Also with the shallow pool and location of the lights you see every imperfection in the bottom concrete.

I realize it should be perfectly smooth....

Melt In The Sun said:
It will never be perfectly smooth. With the light on at night, every tiny imperfection will look like the end of the world, but every pool has them. You just never paid attention until it was your own :)

Oh I know I know when I was patching up the walls in my house prior to paint I had my kid shine a flashlight along the walls, talk about a terrible mud job....but I digress. I like perfection, rarely does it happen. The fence guys did a FANTASTIC job.

The deck contractor on the other hand....I dug the footer holes for him, nice perfect squares all in a perfect line....what does he do with the forms....

IMG_2177-1.jpg

WTH man, I KNOW they won't be very visible, but you're telling me you can't even lay square forms down on a perfect set of inline holes?!?!

Melt In The Sun said:
Well, his finished product looks pretty good from here!

The deck is flawless in my opinion. The contractor laid the forms and put in the concrete. His sub and he actually built the deck. I was there for the final day, handrails. They both were ****** i pulled a permit on this job, that's why i dug the footers.....because it would have required them to make too many multiple trips....the inspector was out yesterday because one of the "posts" against the house missed the 2x4 stud in the basement framing, so they were gonna set it into concrete up against the house, the other two they bolted to the house and they don't actually reach the ground. So they needed the inspector to approve the hole prior to concrete.....Inspector arrives and refuses that solution since the dirt there is "fill", even if it is 25 years old....so I suggest hey i'll just throw a 2x4 in the wall, and you can bolt to that. The inspector was happy with that and so was the contractor. The deck builder let me use is awesome 14volt hammer drill thingy (not really a hammer drill forgot the name ) which screwed these huge screws effortlessly, me want. I actually installed 3 2x4's in a row cause of a pipe blocking easy access.

So i ask the contractor do i have to get a final inspection, he's like i don't know i haven't pulled a deck permit in 25 years......LOL

I learned a lot watching/working near them, the neatest are the 12" screws the attach posts to house studs and at a few other key locations, and his drill just drives them right in, no predrilling holes....

I am really happy with the deck construction and design (wifes idea). They installed 14 stair stringers which look pretty cool when viewed from behind.....

FINALLY SOD!

It rained all weekend too, they're almost done with the sprinklers.

Next stop a few large plants and we'll be done for the time being, i'm going to continue to add plants this summer.

If you walk to the pool from the front of the house you'd go through this gate.

IMG_2260-1.jpg

and you would see this

IMG_2261-1.jpg

IMG_2262-1.jpg

IMG_2263-1.jpg

IMG_2258-1.jpg

Got the hot tube "restored" and sat in place

IMG_2256-1.jpg

IMG_2255-1.jpg

IMG_2249-1.jpg

IMG_2254-1.jpg

IMG_2257-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well as of right now it will be pine straw with drip irrigation. A Deador Cedar is to go in that corner of the fence. After visiting the nursery today at lunch I'm thinking of lining it with about 3-4' tall windmill palms, one every 8' or so.

I'm taking suggestions!

I'm actually drawing up a landscaping diagram at work as i type this response, trying to decide what i want the landscaper to install and what i want to install.....

I'm about to form my steps for Friday and was wondering how much water is on your top step and
How tall from top step to pool deck. The joys of DIY thanks for any help and your pool looks great!

Kellym said:
I'm about to form my steps for Friday and was wondering how much water is on your top step and
How tall from top step to pool deck. The joys of DIY thanks for any help and your pool looks great!
There is ~4.5" of water on my top step. It might have been nice to have 6", but even when it's down to 3" it doesn't allow the liner to move/float/get loose. The distance from top of pool deck to top of large first step (ledge) is 12", the next two steps are ~10". They seemed really tall and steep when the pool was empty, with water you don't notice that. Good Luck!

carlscan26 said:
Any update on the coping and corners?

No. I ended up telling the PB not to try and "hand rub" the coping edges, afraid they were going to scratch/mess up the auto cover track. For now it's just going to be the way that it is.

I'm taking the next week off work with no kids :party: :cheers: :party: and will be spending my vacation finishing the landscaping and working on the storage space by the pool equipment so I should have some "finished" pictures.

Here's some fairly recent ones....

IMG_0044-1.jpg

IMG_0046-2.jpg

IMG_0045-2.jpg

Just measured for you, easier then finding paperwork. 1716 sq feet. Width on long sides of pool 6', width by cover pit 4'.

I think I paid $5 per sq foot. Which is why we now have a small deck, old one was rotten and huge, 20'x20', so this was actually cheaper than rebuilding huge deck, we like it better too! Deck was like $30 sq foot.

WWells said:
is that including the pool? which I calculated to be 774 sq/ft.....each level of my house is like 1200 square feet so its hard to imagine all the concrete being 30% larger

I didn't include the pool in the sq foot calculations.

Here are the dimensions...in feet.

Patio area nearest deck 25 X 15
Patio area by pool 17 X 33
Area alongside of pool nearest house 50 X 6
Area alongside of pool nearest fence 50 X 6
Area which hot tub sits on 12 X 9
Area at end of pool by cover pit lid 4 X 18

I did not include the steps, i ball parked the measurements where the curves are on the two patio's, but it shouldn't be off my very much.

Pool is 18 X 43 (inside of coping to coping)

and then the corresponding blocks i measured

The gap between patio's where steps are should have been drawn smaller, but Paint + Trackball = Fail.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.