Decent leak from above ground pool pump

jcrew6311

Apr 11, 2020
Arizona
2nd year using this best way pool pump. I know people mention they're not great, and I wasn't expecting a miracle. However it has worked great to keep our pool clean for a whole year and now going on 2. 1 problem though, there's a decent running leak coming from the frame and I'm not sure how I can get it to stop. Is there some kind of sealant I can use to fix this? I tried duct tape, knowing it probably wouldn't work, and it's not lol.

Attachments

• PXL_20210405_181711790.jpg
    PXL_20210405_181711790.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 14
Unfortunately these little pumps that come with pole frame pools are considered disposable. If your pool is in good shape I would consider getting a better brand above ground pool pump like a Hayward or Pentair. It will give better performance and the parts are replaceable. What size is your pool?

Unfortunately these little pumps that come with pole frame pools are considered disposable. If your pool is in good shape I would consider getting a better brand above ground pool pump like a Hayward or Pentair. It will give better performance and the parts are replaceable. What size is your pool?

It's about a 6500 gallon pool. I don't plan to have it forever, but it got us through covid and I figure every year we have it just makes the average cost of swim go down lol. If we got 2 more years out of it I'd be more than content. What I'm more sad about is the fact that once it's gone I'll have no need for all these amazing pool maintenance skills I've learned lol.

You could try taking it apart and check the o-ring. Add some silicone sealant, re-assemble let it set overnight and see if it helps. If that does not work you can find a decent Hayward pump for about $250.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The seal leak is behind the impeller, no idea if they can be replaced on cheap intex pumps but that’s where your leak is I am suspecting. Those cheap pumps are not meant to be worked on, they are more a throw away when broken.

So am I correct for saying I don't need a whole new sand filter, I just need the new pump, like the one I attached in this pic? Not saying I'm going to get this one, but perhaps you all have a suggestion for a good pump for a 6,500 gallon pool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-102549.png
    Screenshot_20210408-102549.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.