Debris on the Bottom

flomas

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Gilroy, California
Hi,
We've had our pool for about a year now, This is the first summer we've had it opened. I've been through some algae issues and got that straightened out. Water chemistry seems fine, I think ... :confused:. What's occurring is after a thorough scrubbing and vacuum we still have debris at the bottom, I've flushed my filter cart twice and it doesn't seem to help. I've attached some pictures. Also sediment builds up on the seem constantly. From the pictures, I'll vacuum up the debris, looks like black chunky or could be bits of the tree it's been hot here but quite windy we have a huge tree that hangs over from the neighbors house. I searched around but didn't seem to find anything that was similar to what I'm seeing. We did have a lot of construction with the deck being built around the pool and all, Maybe I just need to get a new cartridge.

Debris after Vacuuming - Google Photos

Thanks!!

-=FlomaS=-

8000 Gallon, Vinyl, Partial IG, 6' Deep End
Hayward CC10092S Cartridge
Install: Aug 30, 2017
Poolmaster 5-way test kit, City Water - No Restrictions

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: That is some wonderful decking and wood work you have there. Very nice. As for the black debris you are mentioning, it's a bit hard to see them in the images, but they just look like something that got fell or got blown into the pool. If it brushes and moves around easily, it's probably just that. What does it feel like? You shouldn't have to replace cartridges just for that reason. But what about a skimmer sock? Are you using one? It could help to catch stuff that lays on the surface before it sinks or gets pulled to the pump. Most people here use one. Now if you vacuum from the skimmer the sock won't help.

If you continue to see that stuff show up, or it appears to be building more & more, perhaps post a full set of test results for us. The Poolmaster isn't one of our recommended test kits, but it's probably better than the pool store. We can always get you more pointers with test results.

It almost looks like what I find at the part of my pool that the maple tree overhangs.
I have come to the conclusion that the only way to eliminate the issue would be to cut the tree down, which is NOT going to happen! It is a beautiful tree especially in the fall when it goes fire engine red!

So I live with it, and set Zippy to work in the pool OFTEN. Zippy is my pool cleaner.

Thanks for the pointers guys, What pool test kit should I be using? I vacuum using the skimmer there's an outlet port on the inside of the pool for my hose and I have to flip the skimmer lid to get suction going, would a skimmer sock work still for me, can I put it on the filter basket on my Hayward CC10092S?

The debris does move around really easy, I can snap it up with the pole skimmer, it's just tree parts, Just need to stay on top of it..
:cool:

Thanks!

What pool test kit should I be using?
We recommend using either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below). Either one works well and is very reliable. I personally like the TF-100 with magnetic speedstir. If you use a skimmer sock, it simple goes in the poolside skimmer basket. Well worth having to catch all the mall stuff.

I have considerable tree cover too...along with a Hickory tree that squirrels love to drop the half eaten nuts in my pool. About every 2 days I have to vacuum debris from the bottom of the pool and from the seams in the liner. It only takes a 1/2hr so I can live with it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.