Debris clogging the pump

todapo

May 22, 2022
Nelson NH
Hi everyone, I’m new to TFP and pool ownership so here goes.
I have an 18’ above ground pool with trees nearby. When I opened it this year there was alot of leaves on the bottom. I did my best to take them out with a net. The pool is cloudy so I can’t see the bottom, I tried to vacuum and the pump impeller gets clogged immediately with small bits of leaves.
I’m at a loss on how to proceed, I’ve called local pool services to open the pool but they’re all too busy.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Tony

Hi Tony and welcome to TFP! :wave: So a few things to help get you started:
1 - Do you have a proper test kit? A TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C? If not, you really need one.
2 - To kill & remove algae, you need to conduct the SLAM Process using one of those test kits.
3 - Use what we call a skimmer sock in your skimmer. It picks-up debris before it can get to the pump. It should help.

Also refer to the link below for tons of great info about pool care. I'm sure it will help. If you have any questions let us know.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, I bought the FAS-DPD test kit, and have been using pool test strips for everything else. I'll check into the two kits you mentioned. I'll order the skimmer sock today, I'll need to sweep the bottom to get the debris to the top? This site is so helpful! I spent hours on it last night learning all sorts of things. Thanks again for your help!
Suppose I should get back to work now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.