Death to all Cottonwood trees!

LoneWolfArcher

Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2019
Michigan
Every late May/early June, cottonwoods become the bane of my existence. Thank God for skimmer socks.

Can't a botanist come up with a bug/virus/disease to take these trees out! I am only half-joking. :) I lost a couple of dozen ash trees to the emerald ash borer a few years ago. Can't there be a cottonwood borer?

Here is my mitigation:

Use skimmer socks. Run pump twice as long, 4 hours at night, 4 hours during the day. Use hand skimmer as often as possible (at least twice a day).

Every late May/early June, cottonwoods become the bane of my existence. Thank God for skimmer socks.

Can't a botanist come up with a bug/virus/disease to take these trees out! I am only half-joking. :) I lost a couple of dozen ash trees to the emerald ash borer a few years ago. Can't there be a cottonwood borer?

Here is my mitigation:

Use skimmer socks. Run pump twice as long, 4 hours at night, 4 hours during the day. Use hand skimmer as often as possible (at least twice a day).
Yeah, I hate cottonwoods (poplar). But there are so many, even in the city.
A lot of folks run their filters much longer than that. Thankfully, the cottonwood season will soon be over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.