Dealing with pool cover pump hose freezing

Aug 11, 2014
St Louis mo
For those who live in areas where the water in the discharge hose on your solid-cover pool pump can freeze, thus preventing the pump from performing its function, here’s the solution. Though not inexpensive, I purchased a Pirit (pronounced like pirate) heated hose. They were originally developed for use with RVs in the winter, but work quite well for this purpose. It is thermostatically-controlled (starts heating when the ambient temperature reaches 40°), and has heating elements extruded into the hose covering that run the entire length of the hose. It claims to be effective all the way down to -42°F .
I need this kind of protection since we leave for warmer climes for two months in the winter, and I’m not at home to monitor the situation, and correct a problem should it occur. Before I discovered this solution, the discharge hose did indeed freeze once, and the pump became useless.
The hoses are available in 12, 25, 50, and 100’ lengths. Use the shortest length you can, as the price increases dramatically with the longer lengths. I bought mine (25’) from Amazon and paid a little over $100.
Another recommendation: the female end of the hose, which you would ordinarily use to connect to the pool cover pump, is unfortunately also the one that has the 6’ cord to connect to 110v power. I say unfortunately because laying on a wet cover (possibly even occasionally submerged), this connection to your extension cord might well trip your circuit breaker. I solved that issue thusly: I installed a female-to-female hose adapter to the male end of the Pirit hose, and connected that end to the pump. The end that is now connected to the pump contains the thermostat, so to avoid the thermostat possibly being in the water, I zip-tied it to the top of the pump. That is shown in the photo, along with the use of the female-to-female hose adapter.5ED86B10-3361-42C9-A75C-7700C010FF65.jpeg
For what it’s worth, the pump is a Wayne WACP250 pump that has its blue base removed for the photo. My first pump was the Little Giant, and after 2 1/2 winters of multiple failures, I finally gave up and bought the Wayne pump, which has not failed me. I will say that periodically checking and clearing the internal weep hole in any pool pump is highly recommended to keep them running correctly. This is a simple 5-minute procedure which is probably only needed if you constantly have a lot of leaf debris or dirt on your cover.

I remove my pool cover pumps once the temperature gets below freezing or snow is forecast. I have found that when the pumps get buried in snow they often fail soon after and begin tripping the GFCI. And the pump can get locked into ice until things thaw. It is a bit of a hassle to move the pumps off and on a few times a season. But once the temperatures get below freezing there is not much to pump for a while.

The heated hose is interesting but it doesn't protect the pump from being buried in snow.

Reactions: 1Sammy
What is going to keep the water around the pump from freezing ?

Nothing is going to protect the water around the pump from freezing, but this will be a very slight amount (the amount that is always there, as your pump will not evacuate the water until the water is high enough [Maybe 2”?] to trip the water level sensor and start the pump). If that water has frozen, it’s cold enough that the only additional precipitation you’re likely to get is snow, which is way lighter than water (roughy 12% the weight), and this should not threaten your cover. My heated hose is only a solution for the problem described: that of frozen water IN the discharge hose preventing evacuation of the water.

I remove my pool cover pumps once the temperature gets below freezing or snow is forecast. I have found that when the pumps get buried in snow they often fail soon after and begin tripping the GFCI. And the pump can get locked into ice until things thaw. It is a bit of a hassle to move the pumps off and on a few times a season. But once the temperatures get below freezing there is not much to pump for a while.

The heated hose is interesting but it doesn't protect the pump from being buried in snow.

We live in central Missouri, where there can be huge temperature swings all winter. Just because it’s January is no guarantee that we won’t have a few days in the 50s or even 60s, possibly entailing rain. And a snow (12”) that would completely cover the pump is a real rarity. So luckily I haven’t had that problem, which is fortunate, for as I said, we are gone for 2 months in the winter. I don’t have the luxury of being able to move the pump on and off the cover.

I have been home when we’ve had 2” or 3” of snow, and it’s interesting to see the snow melted along the entire length of the hose. It’s also comforting to be assured that the system is working as intended.

Last edited:

Do you recommend just bringing the pump inside as needed during the winter? This is my first winter as a pool owner in Pittsburgh. I have an autocover and am using that as my winter cover, so I am still pumping water off as needed.

Which pump are you asking about? The pump for water on the cover or the pool pump?

The cover pumps don't do well when covered with snow and I bring it in when the forecast is for snow without a rapid thaw. Otherwise thepump gets internal corrisoin and begins tripping the GFCI.

My pool pumps have always stayed outside in 30 years of pool ownership. The pump is drained and winterized with the plugs removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.