Dead Something eaten.

May 15, 2017
New York
Found this in my pool when I took the cover off. Water was quite clean otherwise. Can I just shock the pool or is a drain necessary?C530966F-9991-4E23-8A45-229FBEAC695C.jpg
not sure what kind of animal that is. Was hoping rabbit, mole or squirrel since I read raccoons are the most dangerous for pools.

Pretty sure you got him.

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Rocket-Raccoon.jpg

If it is a raccoon the CDC recommends getting it tested for Baylisascdaris.

Raccoons & Pools | Healthy Swimming | Healthy Water | CDC

Raccoons can be pests and can spread germs to humans. It is important to keep raccoons out of your pool and watch for raccoon feces (poop) in and around your pool. Raccoon feces can sometimes contain the eggs of a worm called Baylisascaris procyonis, which can infect humans, particularly children, and cause severe neurologic illness.

[h=3]What should I do if I find raccoon feces or a dead raccoon in my pool? collapsed[/h]Although chlorine in pools will kill most germs that a raccoon could carry into the water, it does not kill Baylisascaris eggs. If raccoon feces or a dead raccoon are found in the pool:

• Close the pool to swimmers. Then
    • Test the raccoon or its feces for Baylisascaris. If the feces or raccoon tests positive for Baylisascaris, clean the pool as described in the following sections.
      OR
    • Clean the pool as described in the following sections, if you do not want to test the raccoon feces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.