Dead IC40?

Dec 20, 2015
St Augustine, FL
Recently my 5 year old Pentair IC40 appears to have stopped making chlorine. On start up instead of green and red salt lights alternating the red light flashes continuously for about 2 mins then stops and no other salt lights come on. Salt is good at 34-3500 and the cell and flow is green. Just put it on super chlor to see what happens over next 24 hrs. But I’m not optimistic. Any suggestions

Ralph,

Most of the time when the cell is not generating chlorine the cell light will not come on or just flashes all the time.

Just because the actual salt is correct does not mean the cell knows what it is..

Your cell may be bad, but I would try the following before buying a new one.

I'd cut the wire going to the thermistor inside the flow switch and see if it starts working.. If not, you are no worse off..

Cut the green wire halfway between the cell and the flow switch.. This makes the cell use a fixed temperature resistor inside the cell itself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ralph,

Most of the time when the cell is not generating chlorine the cell light will not come on or just flashes all the time.

Just because the actual salt is correct does not mean the cell knows what it is..

I'd cut the wire going to the thermistor inside the flow switch and see if it starts working.. If not, you are no worse off..

Cut the green wire halfway between the cell and the flow switch.. This makes the cell use a fixed temperature resistor inside the cell itself.

Thanks,

Jim
Ralph,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Cut the wire and all lights as described initially. Cell light on still but I don’t see any little bubbles I usually see from jets when it’s generating chlor. Guess try super chlor for 24 hrs and see

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.