Dead algae

Mar 2, 2014
Cincinnati OH
Hi. We have used quite successfully the BBB method for the 4th year now. I recommend this site to anyone who will listen :D

My problem is that we had a bit of algae when we opened about a month ago. We SLAMmed and I believe our #'s are in line. My question/problem is that we cant seem to get all the dead algae vacuumed up. Is there a way to get rid of all the brown powdery stuff on the bottom of the pool?

FC: 6.5
CC: 0
pH: 8.2 (we are working on this)
TA: 110
CH: 150 (does this really matter on an AG pool w/ a vinyl liner?)
CYA: 38

Hi. We have used quite successfully the BBB method for the 4th year now. I recommend this site to anyone who will listen :D
Congrats! That's wonderful to hear.

we cant seem to get all the dead algae vacuumed up. Is there a way to get rid of all the brown powdery stuff on the bottom of the pool?
Usually this is due to moving the vac too quickly, causing underwater waves to keep pushing it around and away from the suction. Put on your best ninja impression and sneak up on the entire pool floor. The other common thing is not having enough suction on the vac head. DO NOT attempt this alone. Have a trusthworthy adult at the pool pump ready and taught how to turn off power to the pump if needed. After you get the vac going, keep it underwater and reach down with your less favorite hand, get close to the hole, but do not let yourself get sucked in or cover it. It should be STRONG SUCTION, so sneak up on it. If it isn't strong, let us know and we'll work on that. If your hand somehow gets stuck, please don't let that happen, even for a second, have your partner turn it off immediately. Don't hesitate, scream OFF! Do this at your own risk. Perhaps the safer way would be to hold a piece of paper or something near it to test the suction. I don't know what the official TFP suction test is, but that's mine with my left hand and partner at the pump watching me for any sign of distress. Never let myself get sucked up, but always safe in case accident.

FC: 6.5 (in target range of 5-7 for CYA 40 according to chart, but if your water isn't sparkling and totally clear, you need to raise to shock FC and keep it there SLAM, which is FC 16 for CYA 40)
CC: 0 (yay)
pH: 8.2 (we are working on this) (cool, using MA or something else? any questions?)
TA: 110 (fine unless PH is always a problem, then Lower TA using this pool school article to 90 and see if PH still acts up)
CH: 150 (does this really matter on an AG pool w/ a vinyl liner?) (CH 0-300 is fine, but you want to keep an eye on the CSI value of PoolMath to make sure you don't get close to any scaling problems)
CYA: 38 - how did you get 38 exactly? We round up to next ten, so use CYA 40 on the cyachart) (also, if this wasn't obtained using an approved test kit, this could be way, way off, be warned that pool store tests are failures for CYA)

My problem is that we had a bit of algae when we opened about a month ago. We SLAMmed and I believe our #'s are in line. My question/problem is that we cant seem to get all the dead algae vacuumed up. Is there a way to get rid of all the brown powdery stuff on the bottom of the pool?

I just finished a SLAM a couple of days ago. I had to vacuum a couple days in a row to get all the dead algae. Though it appeared that I got all the algae the first time I vacuumed, I discovered that I had probably just stirred some back up into the water. The next day, it had settled back down to the bottom and I could easily vacuum it up.

Good luck and remember... it is DEAD algae. Much better problem than having LIVE algae. :)

Will a pool robot work on a round above ground pool?
We got some kind of auto vacuum when we bought the pool several years ago but my husband says it always got stuck or tried to ride up the wall.

My Nautilus Plus works remarkably well on my round AGP.

The water is pretty and clear..has been actually. My reading are staying steady. CC is still 0. I notice less of the dead algae (brown powdery stuff). We are having a graduation party Saturday and so far so good. Thanks for the support. This is 1 reason I love this site.

Great! If I was you, I'd throw on some goggles and a snorkel and shorten the vac pole to the min and slowly float around, vac up all the brown over as long as it took.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, night before the party, if fc is 10 or less I'd make sure ph is 7.2-7.8, then bring FC up to or just below shock for your current CYA at the time. Don't overshoot! Space MA and bleach by 20 mins.

You've done a great job!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.