Dead algae

Jun 7, 2015
Mount Dora, Fl
I have a concrete pool with a cartridge filter. I am having trouble finding a way to get the dead algae off the bottom after shocking. When I manually vacuum it either goes right back into the water or the filter clogs up after a few minutes and I'm constantly having to clean the filter. I have a Polaris 380 but it just stirs up the algae and it goes right through the bag. I didn't have this issue when I had a pool with a sand filter but I just can't get a grip on this cartridge filter. I have owned a pool for 20 years but this new one has me baffled. I am eventually able to clear it through constant brushing and filtering but this involves constantly cleaning the filter several times a day for days at a time. This seems to wear out my filters and they stop being effective. Is there any type of pool sweep that is effective or a bag out there for the Polaris that is non porous enough to trap the algae? Thanks!

When an algae bloom of the magnitude occurs like you are describing, you nee to SLAM (not shock) the pool......and yes it involves a lot of filtering that a cartridge filter doesn't handle (volume wise) as well as sand.

Following the SLAM procedures, the dead algae will never accumulate on the floor unless your pool is a green swamp.

I have Slamed which has greatly reduced the amount. It wasn't that bad to start and except for a green film on the bottom the water is basically clear. I just can't seem to get the remainder gone. I have a bad shoulder and am unable to brush for very long which is why I was wondering if there is a pool cleaner that would do the job. The Polaris works fine for leaves but fails miserably when it comes to finer dirt and algae. Even with a sand/silt bag it goes straight through. I'm retired on a fixed income or I would hire a pool service but have always done it myself. Having a cartridge filter as opposed to the sand is a game changer that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around.Thanks for your help!

We have the same filter. Last time I SLAMmed my pool with a heavy algae problem was about 4 years ago when I learned about TFP. :) Yes, those single cartridge filters get overwhelmed fast when trying to remove algae. I took mine out at least once everyday - sometimes twice in the early SLAM time. But here's the key ..... "You MUST maintain the proper FC level to ensure the algae your filter is trying to eradicate is dead". I can't emphasize that enough. Otherwise, your pool will regenerate new (clear) algae and the filter will continue to get clogged.

To recap - please make sure of your CYA level with your TF-100 or Taylor K--2006C test kit. That is priority #1. Once you verify the CYA, then make sure the pH is between 7.2-7.4. Then you can make sure your FC level corresponds to that CYA as noted on the chlorine/CYA Chart (link in my sig). Example: a CYA of 40 requires and FC SLAM level of 16. From that point forward, you test often (every hour or so at first) to ensure your water is maintaining the FC SLAM level. When you do that, you will continue to see an improvement not only in the water, but what the filter traps.

I can't offer much personal advise on a robotic cleaner as I don't have one :(, but do the best you can within your capability to brush the brush over pool surfaces. Even if you can't do the whole pool at once, break it up over sections throughout the day if needed. The proper FC level is key to helping. Remember you can use just regular (generic) bleach for the SLAM - just no scented or splashless bleaches. Hope that helps.

How large is your pool?

Cartridge filters are fantastic but they need to be the correct size for the pool, generally a minimum of 1.5 times the manufacturers recommended size.

I clean my 450 sq foot cartridge filter twice per year.

So I strongly suggest you mainly need a larger filter.

If you replace with a sand filter that should also be oversized.

I have Slamed which has greatly reduced the amount. It wasn't that bad to start and except for a green film on the bottom the water is basically clear. I just can't seem to get the remainder gone. I have a bad shoulder and am unable to brush for very long which is why I was wondering if there is a pool cleaner that would do the job. The Polaris works fine for leaves but fails miserably when it comes to finer dirt and algae. Even with a sand/silt bag it goes straight through. I'm retired on a fixed income or I would hire a pool service but have always done it myself. Having a cartridge filter as opposed to the sand is a game changer that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around.Thanks for your help!

If there is a green film on the bottom of the pool, you haven't (or shouldn't) have finished SLAMming yet.

Is there a local kid or student that would help you brush for a few bucks? You need to get your FC levels back up to SLAM and hold it there until the water is clear and there is no sign of any algae.

Before joining this forum I found my algae through my robot cleaner. The bag would just pick up heaps of what I initially thought was sediment or dirt coming into the pool some how. I have the dolphin swash TC which I am not completely happy with but can confirm picks up some heavier sediment with no real issue. I also used a slurpy, which is a bit more labour intensive so not sure how your shoulder will hold up. The slurpy is good for any pits or nooks you have that robot cleaner cant get into.

V-Pump - High velocity water pump. No Electricity - Direct Pool Supplies - YouTube

Thanks all! Sounds like I need to do some more Slaming and brushing. This pool is so much more trouble to keep clear than my old pool that I wonder if it's worth the trouble or maybe I'm just getting old and it seems that way. I appreciate all the responses!

Please Note: SLaM Means Shock Level and Maintain. The key is the maintain part. You have to get the pool up to Shock Level and check it often. At least once and hour or so. If it has dropped, add more chlorine until you reach Shock Level again. Use Pool Math to tell you the amount of chlorine to add each time you test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I lust for the Dolphin S300i. My current Dolphin works really well, but is bottom loaded, and does not have an iPhone interface. I almost wish it would break to I could rationalize a new one.

Would you add the size and/or gallons of your pool in your signature?

I have an oversized Quad DE filter, that worked really well when I SLAMed.

If your filter can be backwashed, that may be a way to avoid cleaning as often.

Also, if you have a "vacuum to waste" setting on your filter valve, you can use your bottom vacuum to suck up all the settled algae, and send all that to your drain. It will require adding a little more water, but may be worth it to save the trouble of cleaning the filter every day.

And it does sound like you want to SLAM. Follow those instructions exactly, religiously, and with out cutting any corners.

You are done when:

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.

If the pool is not absolutely crystal clear, you are not done. You have to satisfy all 3 criteria.

Unfortunately, GC probably can't backwash or vacuum to waste as he has a single cartridge filter set-up. But GC, once you let that bleach (chlorine) do its job and pass the SLAM, your pool will be MUCH easier to maintain. Hang in there, take your time, and we'll be around if you have more questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.