DE went back into Pool....what to do now?

Dennyhle

May 11, 2021
California
So my pool person was supposed to clean the filter yesterday. I came home and noticed the pool was a little hazy. I brushed the sides of the pool and dust-like particles were everywhere on the surfaces of my pool forming clouds as I brushed. I'm not sure how it happened but my pool person said that my retaining wheel for my filter broke and the DE went back into the pool. What's the best way to clean up this mess. Not sure I trust my pool person anymore because they didn't even tell me this happened.

What do I need to do now? Let the filter run and keep brushing to keep the particles afloat?

Last edited:
If the filter is repaired so that it will not allow DE to escape back into the pool, then you can vacuum the DE up and into the filter. DE is very light & fluffy, so it may kick-up and become a little cloudy which may require several attempts. But vacuuming is fine. If you elect to just brush, some of it should go to the skimmer but may take a while longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.