DE Pentair Multiport Operating Issues

Nov 17, 2017
San Leon, TX
I've recently acquired a home with a pool the water is murky and has a very dark green color, I am not familiar with DE type pools but making an attempt to get the pool clear again. The main issue is very little circulation, I've cleaned the main filter hose down the filters, replaced the spider gasket , the O ring and the handle washer as these were damaged. apply the DE powder stuff in the skimmer.
I now have a slight improvement with the water circulation, when in the filter mode the pressure increased to around 15 PSI then drop back to zero, the pool is also draining when in the filter mode, i am thinking the spider gasket may have become unseated. I've also noticed that during operation there are small leaks around the lid screws, I don't want to over tighten in case I damage the casing, can i use plumber's putty in this case.
So how do I address the varying pressure, the backwash drainage while in filter mode and the leaks around the cover plate. I've shocked the water but with no effect until I can get the circulating going.
Thanks for any help on this.

What is happening is you over achiever filter is doing it's job..........trying to clear the water. Let take this one thing at a time.

-green water-you need to SLAM as seen in this link:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

In order to do a SLAM you need a good test kit as seen here: Test Kits You will need the XL option due to the algae in your pool.

Now the leaking-I would take it apart to make sure the gasket it seated and slowly tighten everything up. See if that helps.

Filter-did you take it all the way apart? Did you take the grids out and clean them THEN add back the DE?

Sorry for more questions than answers but we have to make sure everything is covered.

Kim:kim:

If you are losing water when in Filter mode, the water is going somewhere. What is the backwash line hooked up to? Does it go directly into the sewer or can you verify that water is not getting out the backwash port?

In general, with a DE filter, clearing a green pool is a royal PITA. You would be better off to put the filter in recirculate mode (bypasses the filter) and chlorinate the water using the SLAM process until the green is gone and you’ve killed all the live algae. Then, after all the algae is dead (water will be brownish grey and cloudy) you can start filter. A DE filter is going to clog up rapidly at first so you may be opening the filter a lot to clean it out. Backwashing is often not sufficient to restore low operating pressure in the early phases.

Hey Guys, thanks very much for all your inputs, after double checking I found the spider gasket was not seating properly, hence the backwash drain, the "O" ring was busted.. No more leaks when in filter mode :cool:, Ive started the slam process what I am discovering is that the skimmer return had a good flow then after it dies to a trickle I am running in circulate mode to avoid clogging the de filter, the other issue is the span is emptying. the piping system has all ball valves, with one valve handle chewed off, the previous ownes must have had problems and broke the ball valve handle it appears to be in the off position.
Is there a way to post a pic of the valve positions.
Thank you for your help so far.

Ugh. Future upgrade homework - cut out those useless ball valves and replace with properly servicable Jandy valves.

You can take pictures with your phone and upload one or two. Supporters get larger upload capacity. Other option is to find a free hosting site like tinypic and then use that to upload a photo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.