Apr 20, 2024
Akron, OH
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
HELP! Pool servicer opened it and won't tell us why it looks like this. I joined here to try to learn what the heck to do! I also attached a pic of what our NEW $1500 Dolphin (just bought last week on Amazon) pulled off the bottom. Is this DE? Do we need a new filter? Any and all help SO APPRECIATEDIMG_5250.jpegIMG_0500.jpeg

Hi, welcome to TFP! That looks like DE to me! Either there was some "user error" going on or you have a hole in your grids.

Can you post some photos of your equipment area, especially the filter and any valves in or out of it? Do you know if they did any work on the filter?

Fish,

What kind of Dolphin do you have that has a bag???

I quit using bags 8 or more years ago???

I agree, that look like DE. DE, can only get out of your filter if the grids have holes in them.

About the only thing you can do now, is to open the filter and inspect the grids. That means you have to clean the filter, install new grids if required, and then add new DE.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks guys! This was a brand new Maytronics Dolphin 2024 model on Amazon for $1399 or something like that. It comes with filters and also a leaf bag (which is what is pictured). Our servicer has done nothing with the filter so yes I'm sure there is a good chance something is wrong with it. We've had this gunk in the pool since last season. If we end up needing to replace the filter is is possible to do ourselves? Pool servicers around here are scarce.

Attachments

• IMG_5284.jpeg
    IMG_5284.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5280.jpeg
    IMG_5280.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5283.jpeg
    IMG_5283.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5282.jpeg
    IMG_5282.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 10
You do not need to replace the filter unless you no longer want a DE filter. The grids inside it are replaceable. There are 6 identical grids and 1 smaller grid. You need to remove each of them and determine which one has a tear. look in the seams of each grid.
Then take that grid to a pool store to purchase the proper replacement.
To clean a DE filter, be patient, there is a lot of steps. First turn off breaker to power off the pump. Then remove the drain plug, open up the relief valve to drain the filter, remove the band, inspect the seal ring and put to side. Then remove each of the grids, clean and inspect.

Found this online- this looks difficult for a newbie. I'm going to see if we can get a new servicer to come show us how to start/stop the filter. There is a lot of pressure inside that thing! Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

Fish,

Here is a quick story for you...

When I built the pool at my house, I really, really wanted a DE filter, because that is all I had ever used. But, the City requires that any DE filter be connected to the sewer, which would have been almost impossible.. So, I was "forced" to go with a large Cartridge filter...

Now, 10 years later, my view point is very different. I will never, ever go back to a DE filter... :mrgreen: I also have two rent house pools that still have DE filters and I can hardly wait for them to die so that they can be replaced with large cartridge filters.

Cartridge filters are dirt simple.. No multiport valve to go bad, leak or won't turn. Very low back pressure. I clean mine once or twice a year and my pool is open year round. In your location cleaning once a year would be plenty..

Can you replace the filter yourself?? No way for me to know. How handy are you?

In my mind, the perfect pool would have a large VS pump, a SWCG, and a large cartridge filter.. You already have two out of the three.. :goodjob:

I have the CCP-520.. I would not get less than the CCP-420.

Or this one...

Thanks

Jim R.

Found this online- this looks difficult for a newbie. I'm going to see if we can get a new servicer to come show us how to start/stop the filter. There is a lot of pressure inside that thing! Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.
Good plan. Once you do it, it gets easier. That is why I said to have patience.

Fish,

I assume you have an EasyTouch automation system..

If so, to stop the pump, you just push the Mode button.. 1st push, takes you into the Service mode. When done, push the button twice. This will take you through the Timeout mode and back to the Auto mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Fish,

Another story...

My first experience with a pool was with a rent house that I bought that had a pool.
I took the filter apart to clean out the old DE. As part of the process, I also took apart the Grid Assembly, so I could inspect each grid.
When it was time to put it all back together, I tried for an hour to get the grids to all line up.. I honestly almost started to cry, and then they somehow magically aligned and fell into place. I came with in a minute of just giving up, and that is not me.. :mrgreen:

Since then, it has become easier each time I do it.. Thanks goodness.

Just another reason to never have a DE filter..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to everyone here! Lots of wisdom here. We have a new pool guy coming Wednesday. Fingers crossed that we can figure everything out because we are born to SWIM!!!

UPDATE: New pool maintenance guy came today and we are absolutely switching to him after having had this cloudy water issue for at least a year. FIVE of the filter grids had deep holes! They were majorly ripped. The guy told me this did not happen overnight and should have been caught at opening/closing inspection. So, new pool maintenance relationship starting today! I asked him if we should replace the entire filter system and he said no, just ride it until it goes bad because it works well when it's properly maintained. So thankful for this site and finding this new guy.

UPDATE: New pool maintenance guy came today and we are absolutely switching to him after having had this cloudy water issue for at least a year. FIVE of the filter grids had deep holes! They were majorly ripped. The guy told me this did not happen overnight and should have been caught at opening/closing inspection. So, new pool maintenance relationship starting today! I asked him if we should replace the entire filter system and he said no, just ride it until it goes bad because it works well when it's properly maintained. So thankful for this site and finding this new guy.
That was good advice.
Please Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is, and this will help responders to quickly see your equipment and pool details without having to keeping asking for the information.