DE in sand filter 3cups and no move

Are you doing a SLAM? You’re saying “clearing up and more of a blue tint” which makes me think you have algae and should be SLAMming.
Are you doing a SLAM? You’re saying “clearing up and more of a blue tint” which makes me think you have algae and should be SLAMming.
Seem to have been having a filtering issue

No slam.
Always pass a oclt
3-4+ppm drop every day-0 at night

Just been trying to get rid off a brownish dust, which is gone due to vac to waste.

fc drop to 4ppm everyday I don’t think was helping anything.

Should be able to check sand level soon as I can today. I think I will need to be adding some.

Checked sand level. It is 14” from top of sand to top of filter edge. (Says 10” min. Required). Going to get about 3-5 more bags. Hope to see a significant change in filtering.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I don’t know that this is required in any sand filter but some filters recommend adding a layer of smooth pea gravel up to and over the laterals to protect them from the finer sand. Supposedly it’s to protect the laterals by giving them better support and improving the head loss of the filter. Not sure if any of those claims are realistic but given the size of your sand filter, it might be an option on the future 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps more experienced sand filter users can chime in.

I don’t know that this is required in any sand filter but some filters recommend adding a layer of smooth pea gravel up to and over the laterals to protect them from the finer sand. Supposedly it’s to protect the laterals by giving them better support and improving the head loss of the filter. Not sure if any of those claims are realistic but given the size of your sand filter, it might be an option on the future 🤷‍♂️

I’d be interested to hear some replies

I think in a big filter like mine that would help save on buying some sand. Because it probably doesn’t filter anything below the laterals. But since it’s already in there I’m not gonna scoop it back out. The instructions and manual don’t say anything about P gravel for this particular filter.

Gravel can help provide better flow around laterals and prevent sand from clogging the laterals or going through the laterals.

Large commercial filter will usually use gravel and some places might require it.

The quality and consistency of the sand matters a lot and if there is a lot of fine sand in the sand, then you can get sand bypassing the laterals.

You can also use a larger grained more course sand near the laterals and then a smaller sand on top.

1656959415380.png

Last edited:
Swimming Pool Sand filters generally use #20 silica sand which is approximately .40 to .55 mm.

If the slits in the laterals are a little bit large and the sand is a little bit small, then you can get some sand passing through the laterals.[6]

MYSTIC WHITE II filter sand has three effective sizes, .49 mm, .65 mm or .80 mm.

MYSTIC WHITE® II .49

MYSTIC WHITE® II .65

MYSTIC WHITE® II .80

So, you could use 0.80 mm near the laterals and then 0.65 mm or 0.49 mm near the top.

Or, you can do a layer of gravel, a layer of 0.80 mm, a layer of 0.65 mm and then a layer of 0.49 mm on top.

I guess when the filter manual says the freeboard spacing is important, they really mean it 😂 ….

Good job, great looking pool!

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

This is common in commercial filters. I’m talking about those filters the size of a twin bed or bigger and hold multiple tons of sand. I don’t recall the gravel size but it was spec’d in the manual for each filter.

I have only skimmed this thread but I will add my filter was a TR140 that used 925 lbs of sand to get the freeboard distance correct. With a filter that size and adequate runtime it was crystal clear without the need for DE. Did you get the freeboard set?

I have only skimmed this thread but I will add my filter was a TR140 that used 925 lbs of sand to get the freeboard distance correct. With a filter that size and adequate runtime it was crystal clear without the need for DE. Did you get the freeboard set?
Yeah. 81/2” from top. It was at 14”. 4 more bags worth.

Ok. I see your latest CYA test was 50ppm. Did you increase that? Even with a pool cover, Arizona is too blazing hot to use low CYA.
Just been going off the chart. I filled pool, used tabs and powedered shock for first month, found tfp and been doing that. I’d say it’s closer to 45. I think I’ll throw some tabs (not sure how long it would take to raise it from 45-50 to 60-65) in unless another way is recommended…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.