DE (?) flowing into pool for 1-2 seconds at startup

mcinlb

Aug 24, 2017
Long Beach, CA
Noticed when our pump came on this morning, a few of the return lines were pushing what looked like cloudy water into the pool.

Filter is a Quad DE and the pump is set to start at 2200 RPM for a few seconds and then run at 1750 RPM.
I cleaned the cartridges and charged the system with DE (weighed with a scale) a few weeks ago and everything looked good from a wear perspective (no holes etc).
There is no air in the filter at startup, so I don't believe it is leaking down at night.
There's a push / pull backwash valve on the filter that likely hasn't been serviced in ages.

Is it possible the backwash valve could be the culprit here?

Thanks!

Unlikely it’s the backwash valve. All that does is change the direction of water flow. When the backwash valve starts to have issues, it usually shows up as water dribbling out of the waste port. The valve is easy to service and the shaft should be pulled annually and the o rings greased.

The DE is likely just making it through something that’s not sealed up right. Aside from the cartridges, the bottom manifold has an oring seal that needs to be checked anytime you open up and clean the filter. The spring on top of the air relief tub with the mesh cap often gets compressed and needs to be stretched back out. Unfortunately you’ve got to take it apart and just redo everything. It’s a pain but I’ve been where you are before and it’s annoying to hunt down those little burps of DE.

The manual says this is normal. Quad D.E.® Filter Installation and User’s Guide Section 6 Troubleshooting Page 13

CLOUD OF DIRTA brief "cloud" of dirt may appear immediately when the filter startsa. This is a characteristic of diatomite filters.

It’s only normal right after tear down and recharge. It should stop after 24 hours. If it continues for days or weeks after, then it’s a seal leaking somewhere.

After tear down and deep cleaning I typically run my Quad filter for 24-36 hours continuously to make sure the DE “sticks”.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.