DE filter vs Sand

Nre721

May 21, 2018
Tennessee
Hi Everyone! New here. I live in Midde TN and currently have an in ground pool with a Hayward DE filter. The filter system is probably 12-15 years old. The pool company I use keeps trying to get me to switch to a Sand filter. They say that because I live with so many trees around etc that sand will keep pool more clear. I feel like this is counter intuitive since DE filters filter to 3 or so microns which is better than sand. Any thoughts?

I have a DE filter.

I wish I had a sand filter. Backwash and rinse. Done. No recharging. You want superfine filtering? Add some DE. It will form a fine layer on top of the sand. Like window screen on top chicken wire, just on a smaller scale. When my filter dies, it'll be sand for me. But not until then, because I'm cheap.

One thing that will help you hugely (and much much cheaper than a new filter) is to install a hair net or a nylon or a skimmer sock over your skimmer basket. You'd be amazed at the amount of crud that would otherwise pass through the basket and end up loading the filter. I use a queen-size knee-high nylon: Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

Yep sand filter with a touch of DE in it and hairnets in the skimmer. Water is crystal clear even at night with the light on in the pool. Maintenance is super easy. I just wish I had a bigger sand filter but I don't want to pay to replace something that is working fine.

In East TN here near Oak Ridge. Thunderstorms, wind, rain and lots of tall trees are why I continue to use a sand filter and now also a hairnet (in the skimmer; about $6 per hundred unless you want the 3M ones on amazon). The hairnet captures all of the thin 3-5" long needles, which used to go through the basket to the pump basket and then through the pump into the filter.

I've only had sand, but I picked up a large bag of DE for finer filtering. This is season #5 with it. I've heard sand alone is the least effective of the three (DE and cartridge being the others), but it also seems to be the least maintenance. I see people constantly buying new cartridges and I believe DE needs to be added/changed every so often. Sand could be that portable rotisserie that used to be on TV. Set it and forget it (more or less), and for better filtering, just add some DE to the skimmer. It will be removed with your next backwash. Here is an article from Pool School. Best of both worlds.

I've heard sand alone is the least effective of the three (DE and cartridge being the others), but it also seems to be the least maintenance.

Not quite- Sand filters are just as effective (esp if you add the DE) but they are the slowest to clear problems up. If you're clean and clear they're just great.

Maddie :flower:

I used to have a sand filter but I like the quad DE filter since it filters the smallest particles. I clean it once in the middle of the swim season, and then at the end when I close the pool for the winter and bring it into the garage. Cartridges are 4 years old and still like new. I also use skimmer socks for extra pre-filtration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.