DE filter size

May 24, 2010
Texas
I would like to change from a sand filter to a diatomaceous earth filter and would appreciate any and all help you can provide.
Here are some details.
Pool: 40,000 gal in-ground gun-nite, white plaster, free-form
Current Filter: Baker Hydro HRV36 (500 lb sand capacity)
Pump: 2.5hp Hayward Super II (125 gal/min)
Valve: Vari-Flow SPO715
Plumbing: 2" PVC
I need help with the following questions I have.
What is the best filter for my application requiring the least maintenance?
What size filter do I need?
Is my current pump and valve usable with the DE filter?

I know this is a lot to ask for, but like I said, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rolf

Why on earth are you changing from a sand to a DE filter, if you want less maintenance. You really need to read the section on filters. DE filters filter the finest, but have the MOST MAINTENANCE of any of the three types. Sand filters have the lowest maintenance, but don’t filter quite as fine.

If you want low maintenance, don’t go with DE. Get either a very large (oversized) cartridge unit or stick with sand. In answer to your other questions, the filter valve will need to be changed, but your pump should be fine.

If you want DE, go with the largest you can find since you have a large pool and long season. Like the Quad-DE filters.
If you want cartridge, again, big as you can afford. At least the 520 sqft filters, bigger would be better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.