DE Filter Question

stodds

Gold Supporter
Aug 16, 2016
Round Rock, TX
I tore down my DE filter yesterday to give it a good cleaning, and to see what it looked like inside. The guy that did my pool startup was a joke, and I wanted to inspect it. I never back-washed since the installation, btw. So, here is the question: Should I see non-DE junk stuck to the grids, or is this a clear indication that not enough DE was added?

My understanding is that, when properly done, the DE should coat the grids, and the junk should really never contact the grids. Am I missing something? Is is safe to assume that my start-up pool guy screwed this up (along with just about everything else)?

Thanks,

Chris,

The grids might have a little "junk" on them but the DE should capture 99% of it..

Backwashing is not too effective in removing anything that is stuck to the grids,, so good job on opening it up and cleaning it.

See if you can beat my record... the first one I disassembled and cleaned, took me about an hour and a half to get back together... :cool:

Should take about 10 minutes...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chris,

The grids might have a little "junk" on them but the DE should capture 99% of it..

Backwashing is not too effective in removing anything that is stuck to the grids,, so good job on opening it up and cleaning it.

See if you can beat my record... the first one I disassembled and cleaned, took me about an hour and a half to get back together... :cool:

Should take about 10 minutes...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Shoot! I did beat your record . . . And then . . . Drain and Skimmer valves open, check! Filter Drain valve closed, check. Fired up pump, and noticed a pipe in my pocket (insert wife joke here :salut:). Was the pipe in the middle of the manifold that goes from the knob that holds the manifold on up to nowhere. Not sure what it really does. But, yeah, had to disassemble, stop being glad to see my wife :p, and reassemble. Total time was probably north of 1.5 hrs. Doh!:hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.