DE Filter Pressure after Backwashing

Jul 27, 2017
Lakeland, FL
New pool owner and learning things the hard way.

My Hayward DE filter pressure was reading 26. I just backwashed and recoated yesterday.

Pressure dropped and is stable at 16. I am seeing information on the web that states after a backwash and recoat
normal pressure should be in the 8-10 range.

Is 16 immediately after a backwash a sign that I may have another issue?

Thank You

Tom,

Each pool is different.. some have simple plumbing and no heater so the pressure is less.. Some pools have more complex plumbing and the pressure will be higher.

One thing you can do to lower the pressure is to increase the size of your return eyeballs.

I see nothing wrong with 16 psi.. Unless you know it used to be 10 or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Pool does have additional salt cell plumbing (not being utilized) and additional plumbing to carry water to a rooftop solar panel dedicated to heating
the pool water.

So sounds like it's not an issue although I will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for responding.

The pump makes a big difference to the expected pressure. What pump do you have?

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do a full breakdown and cleaning of the filter to get a good reference for clean pressure.

A backwash doesn't always do a really good job of cleaning the filter.

If the pressure shows any increase in the first 24 hours, it should be taken apart and cleaned.

What is the water quality? Is there any algae or cloudiness?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.