DE filter media won't stick to the tubes

tallpall

Jul 28, 2012
Have a Hayward pump and diatomaceous earth tube type filter for my 24 foot above ground. This setup has worked amazingly well for seven years keeping the pool crystal clear (since purchase)...and it still does so but I'm becoming concerned about this question. Originally the earth, which is introduced to the clean tubes via a slurry thru the overflow filter, stuck to the sides of the tubes, like you would expect, until it was 'bumped' off and a bit of new slurry added.
Now, the last few years however, the slurry mainly just goes to the bottom of the filter tank. The tubes, when take apart cleaning occurs, mostly are bare.
I do clean the tubes yearly using a 24 hour soak in Muriatic acid (1:10).
I'm using Dicalite media.

Why doesn't the media stick to the tubes? Best guess is somehow the media is just bad, too thick. Can't find an answer. Thanks for your input/

How many summers do the tubes last? Thinking they might be worn out. You know how the fibers almost completely obscure the openings in the tube they cover? They are the mat the diatomaceous earth grab onto, the bottom half of a pair of velcro strips (so to speak). Those fibers are no longer visible. And the water is starting to be cloudy. Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.