DE filter high after cleaning it....

neen01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2012
NJ
This year I got around to taking our DE filter apart and per the tutorial on here to clean it. Previously pool guys who close it for us have cleaned it.
It has some clumps on it but was pretty white. I didn't do the soaking part as they seemed quite clean and I wasn't sure how stiff is stiff. They weren't floppy but not totally stiff.
After reassembling it and whatnot, the pressure is 28
When we put in the pool 12 years ago, the pressure after it was all clean and had new DE was 18. We had a different pump then though.
Is it a problem that the pressure is so high to start?
I just didn't want to be that we put it back together wrong or an obvious sign that we needed to do the soaking part.

Specs of our pool - 35k gallon, IG plaster, pentair DE filter (grids), pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - new last year, raypak heater, polaris and booster pump for that

Pressure of 18 is around right for the Pentair DE filter clean with the pump at high rpm. 28 is not right. My DE filter starts at 20 and I backwash by 30. I would not want to start at 28 and run it to 38 psi.

I can’t say what is wrong however I suggest you break it down and take a close look at how it went together.

Lower your pump rpm, that will lower your psi.

What type of pump and hp rating did you have before?
What rpm are you running your Intelliflo VS when the pressure is 28psi?

Two things come to mind when I read your situation:
1 - This statement ...
Previously pool guys who close it for us have cleaned it.
HOW did they clean it? Rinse only? Acid? I doubt they stuck around and did a true TSP soak. If they used acid they may have fused any oils to the grids making them unusable. Always do the TSP soak first.
2 - Test results? It would good to see those as well.

we had a Pentair whisperflo before
The intelliflow is 3450 rpm with the 28psi

What horsepower rating on the old Wisperflow?
Your new Intelliflow pump is a 3hp and I'm guessing it is bigger than the old Wisperflo.
Running your new pump in your plumbing/filter system at maximum rpm now will increase your psi when compared to the old lower hp (guessing here) pump at the same rpm.
Lower the rpm on your new pump to the point it does not affect your Polaris, skimmer and or heater and check your pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.