DE Filter drain plug damaged - can't remove

mberlew

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2020
Southlake, TX
My drain plug is really stuck. It keeps disintegrating further as I try to remove using various means. It is really old and isn't holding up well to my attempts. I tried using screwdriver on outside and pliers from inside simultaneously and how am left with big hole in the middle. Any advice on how to get this thing out to replace without damaging the filter threading?

IMG_3771.jpg IMG_3772.jpg

I'm thinking if you don't already have an extractor to try and grab that plug, you might end-up drilling from the center and "carefully" working (drilling/chipping) your way outward to the thread area in an effort to get the plug to collapse out. I don't recall how close something (if anything) may be behind the plug on the inside, so be mindful f that as well. Another thought ...... perhaps apply some heat either in the form of very hot water or a heat gun to carefully work it loose. With a heat gun, be careful not to distort the shape of the hole itself.

But those are my initial thoughts. Others may have another bag of tricks up their sleeves.

Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil has never let me down in loosening stuck fasteners. I would get some, let it soak in, then try your best ways to twist it loose.

You could shape a piece of wood for the hole.
It also looks like an adjustable wrench handle might
fit in that hole. That may give you enough grip to
open the plug.

-Bigpaws

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.