5bucks

Jun 6, 2015
Quarryville/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is it common for a de filter to not remove white powder from dead algae? I had a very old Hayward perflex which didn’t seem to be doing it’s job all summer. As opposed to begin checking and replacing parts, I opted to replace the filter and yesterday installed a Hayward 4820. Before replacing I vacuumed the remnants of a recent mild algae bloom (white powder) along with the tiny bugs and particles I’ve been used to all summer. Next day, same visual. I vacuumed again this morning to new filter And already I see powder and a few black specks congregated on the pool floor.
1- Could there be another reason aside from the actual filter?
2- Would this be a time to actually use a clarifier?
Pool water is perfectly clear. No signs of new algae. Followed tfp SLAM protocol last week.

Its never time to add clarifier.

Is there enough circulation going on that the debris is getting to the filter via the skimmer? If you have little bugs they surely are going in the water at night- hence you're finding them.

If you're continuing to see dead algae you are continuing to *have* algae.

Are you sure you put the correct amount of DE into the new filter? Are you vacuuming to waste or the filter??

Maddie

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for your reply. Today I saw powder and debris literally hours after I vacuumed to perfection. Vacuuming to filter - nothing big on bottom, fresh de, no rise in pressure afterwards.
positive on the 6lbs of de.
I looked again since I posted. There is less powder than this morning before vacuuming. Perhaps it’s just residual , but still seems like alot. No clouds when vacuumed abd the small debris throws me off - sinking after just a few hours?
Please comment on direction of return. Ive looked it up a umber of times. 1 skimmer, 1 return in 27’ round. Altering eyeball direction just seems to alter where the debris ends up on the bottom!
I should mention I brushed the bittom really well last evening ( to a slight cloudiness) in hopes the new filter would take care of it, but as i said, all settled this morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.