DE coming into pool

Oct 4, 2014
Allen, TX
I am totally frustrated, hoping the experts here can help.

During the Big Freeze here in Texas in February, we lost electricity for 3 days in Zero degree weather. My system froze solid. Right before the electricity went out it was getting bad anyway, the Filter pressure was 85 PSI from the ice buildup, but if I shut it down in -3 temperatures, it was going to free anyway. I had to wait days for the ice to thaw in the pipes to even look at the damage.

Here is the damage I fixed so far, so you know what I've done up until now:

**Two large sections of PVC had literally blown up, the ice popped the pieces all around the filter. I replace those sections.
**My Vacuum Booster Pump motor works but the impeller doesn't, the part is backordered for months (I guess a lot of people had this happen). I am just keeping the vacuum off until I can get the part.

After I got the system running again the next week, I had DE coming into the pool, so I looked on this site for some answers.
**Rather than go grid by grid, I replaced the entire grid system and manifold. That didn't fix the issue.
**Next, I looked at the O-rings on my backwash valve. They looked worn but I really couldn't tell, so I replaced the replaced the Piston Shaft Assembly to be safe. That didn't work.
**I then lubed all the seals again as some people suggested. That didn't work.

There doesnt appear to be any air leaks, no bubble, and the Filter value isn't showing signs of air getting in.

At this point, I don't have a clue what to try next. I basically have a new Filter and Backwash Valve and DE is still coming into the pool (A lot of it)

Any ideas Folks?

"law", good morning! :wave: You still having the DE problem? After replacing the entire grid assembly with manifolds, I can't understand why you would be having an issue either unless something just didn't mate together well. But I'm going to tag @Jimrahbe since he's managed some DE filters to see if something comes to mind. Hopefully get you on the right path for the weekend. :swim:

"law", good morning! :wave: You still having the DE problem? After replacing the entire grid assembly with manifolds, I can't understand why you would be having an issue either unless something just didn't mate together well. But I'm going to tag @Jimrahbe since he's managed some DE filters to see if something comes to mind. Hopefully get you on the right path for the weekend. :swim:
Thank you for the Response. Yes, I still have the problem, but I've been so busy with work that I haven't done anything further on the pool. My thinking is similar to yours, there could be a leak from the grid assembly. Maybe I didn't connect the grids 100% correct? Maybe there is a small opening in the connections? Thus, I am going to dismantle the entire assembly again and reassemble it very carefully.

Although, I am pretty sure I did it correctly the first time, I don't know what else to try.

Thanks again and if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Law,

For DE to get into the pool it has to bypass the grids. The most likely way that happens is a ripped grid. A cracked manifold. It could be a leaking multiport valve, missing oring on the top manifold or bad air vent line.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.