DE backs up into pump basket...bad check valve?

Poolweekender

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2017
Hudson Valley, New York
Hi, I noticed today that with pump off (Hayward Matrix 1 hp) it looks like some DE backs up into the pump basket -- I think there is a check valve just inside the DE filter (EC-40) that may need replacing...is there any downside of some DE in the pump basket when the pump is off? It disappears quickly once the pump is on...
thanks for any advice...
Justin

Sorry for the delay -- I do not have a DE filter but I would not want solids coming back into my pump. Solids can cause erosion. If this is happening once or several times a day that erosion might impact your impeller.

Hope that helps. You might contact your filter manufacturer for their advice.

Take care.

Yes, there is check valve that's supposed to be on the inlet side. It's a small piece of rubber with a brass weight on it. It's not uncommon to loose the weight and not have the check valve seal off. Check your backwash fittings, sometimes the piece of brass weight gets lodged in there and it won't let you get a complete backwash of DE. You can live with the small amount of DE backing up into the pump or you can split disassemble your tank to replace it. If you decide to replace it, that's a perfect time to clean your filter guts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.