Day 5 of SLAM

May 7, 2018
San Antonio, TX
Good morning! We have a new-to-us inground pool (less than a month in) that was not cared for regularly. I've been reading this site for a few years and following the method, which always gave us a beautiful pool. I've got my TFTest kit - the XL version - and am almost out of my second bottle of R0871. I think I need help now, or a lot of encouragement to keep going! So here's what's going on... I started a SLAM last Saturday evening, and had 6.5 point FC loss overnight. Monday morning I had a 4.8 point FC loss. I checked my lights and found green algae. Scrubbed like crazy, gave the entire pool a good scrubbing/vacuuming, and saw my CC level go up to 1.5 later in the day. Tuesday morning I had an 8 point FC loss (CC @ 1.0). Figured out that the dark gray patches on my shallow end were black mold spots and not just discolorations, so I bought a SS scrub brush and went to town on those areas several times that day. Wednesday morning I had a 5 point FC loss (1.5 CC). Continued scrubbing with SS brush everywhere, not just the spots. Bought some trichlor pucks and scrubbed the spots with them to the point that the 2 pucks dissolved. CCs began increasing; up to 3.5 after that. Thought I was seeing light at the end of the tunnel yesterday morning because my FC only dropped 1 point overnight (CC dropped to 1.5), but I think it was just the trichlor pucks action. My spots, which had lightened significantly with the trichlor scrubbing, had darkened back up, too. Scrubbed all day yesterday and woke up to a 6.5 point FC loss this morning, and CC 3.0. I didn't say it above, but I have been vacuuming every night, scrubbing overhangs/steps/returns/flaps/EVERYTHING. Here are my readings:
FC: 18.5 (Shock level is actually 16 for my CYA level)
pH: 7.2 (as of testing Saturday)
TA: 110 as of yesterday
CYA: 40 as of yesterday
I've been leaning on the side of putting in more bleach than necessary at each dosing since it's been fluctuating so much. I'm so scared I'll run a few errands, come back, and be below shock level, so it makes me feel better to do that.

Sorry this is so long. Anybody have any recommendations or advice? Trying to stay the course and just keep bleach dosing, like I know you all will tell me!;)

So I have a question to try to confirm your information... In the evening, you are adding chlorine, waiting an hour or so and testing your FC level, to determine your overnight free chlorine loss? Are you testing it or just targeting a level? I'm only asking because I've seen cases where folks have added enough chlorine to reach their target, but they didn't actually test to see if they reached it.... make sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.