Dark Stain on Plaster from Chlorine Puck

salty87

Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2017
Texas Hill Country
Part of a chlorine puck (Trichloro-s-triazinetrione) ended up in the pool for a day or 2. Once removed left behind is a dark stain on the plaster.

I've read about vitamin c for iron. Is there anything that can remove the puck stain?

Thanks

salty87

Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2017
Texas Hill Country
Absolutely. The small stuff is just whatever debris, I hadn't swept yet. And, the spillway was running so a little turbulence on the water. Other than the 2 greyish blobs the plaster is fine.

Thanks

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
That's interesting. Trichlor typically bleaches out a finish, but that looks more like some sort of metal staining.

Do you use any kind of algaecide or added anything else to the pool we wouldn't typically recommend? Not looking to berate, just trying to help you figure out what caused it and whether there's a simple solution.

salty87

Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2017
Texas Hill Country
Nothing else added except a little acid every now and then to keep pH down.

Pre-pandemic I used bleach but it's become expensive and sometimes hard to locate. CYA level is a little low so I've been using pucks lately. Pool was originally filled by truck in 2016 but since then the level is maintained with rainwater. And, at least 1/3 of the water was pumped out and replaced with rainwater a couple years ago. The rainwater tank needed to be partially emptied for some maintenance so this was an opportunity to knock CH level down.