Dallas Area Deep Freeze

Lilypad

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Nov 12, 2016
Plano, Texas
We are going to experience the coldest temps in many years. I have never been through this kind of cold with my 15 yr old pool. Forecast right now is showing Sunday high 23 and low of 8, Monday 14/2 :eek:, we will have several ice/snow events as well.

I have a freeze sensor that works well. My concern is power failure with temps as low as 2 degrees without wind chill.Pool pad is on south side of house and in a fenced enclosure. My plan is to wrap all pipes with blankets and then tarp over.

If power goes out, plan of action is to cut the breaker, pull the drain plugs (2) on pump and (1) on filter and put a plastic bottle with anti-freeze in each skimmer.

Any other suggestions? And, no, we don't close our pool this far south (usually!). If y'all could close the door north of us it'd be much appreciated! ☃

Last edited:
Lots of threads on here from us Texans, but your plan looks solid and is the same as mine. The only thing I would add would be to make sure all of your valves are open if you do have to drain due to power or equipment failure.

Here are a couple of threads on the subject:

Reactions: Lilypad
If it is any consolation, our pool didn't even have a skim of ice on it until last month here in nebraska, and we are used to single digit overnights in January. It's froze solid now...but that's what -18 will do. Best of luck for no damage!!

Reactions: Lilypad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.