Really frustrating. Did complete test this morning and CYA is about 140. FC is 10.0, ph=7.6 and TA=100. Water looks great so my question is can I live with this CYA and let time/refills deal with it as long as I keep the FC up? I just can't drain half of the water in the pool in N. California. Thoughts? Thanks. (the background here is that the unnamed pool store had me shocking once a week with their "bags" before I found you folks. I don't go there anymore) Also, Orchard Supply has bleach on sale today only for $2.99 per gallon, BOGO so $1.50 each...today only)

Really frustrating. Did complete test this morning and CYA is about 140. FC is 10.0, ph=7.6 and TA=100. Water looks great so my question is can I live with this CYA and let time/refills deal with it as long as I keep the FC up? I just can't drain half of the water in the pool in N. California. Thoughts? Thanks. (the background here is that the unnamed pool store had me shocking once a week with their "bags" before I found you folks. I don't go there anymore) Also, Orchard Supply has bleach on sale today only for $2.99 per gallon, BOGO so $1.50 each...today only)
yes, but you have to give be vigilant about keeping the FC up. An algae outbreak at those high CYA levels would be difficult to eradicate.

Use any reason to dump some water as often as possible and replace it with city water.

If at all possible try to figure a way to harvest what little rain you get from the roof/gutters to help the process.

Really spinning my wheels with this. Today's readings...
FC=7.5
CC=0
TA=100
ph=7.8
CH=300
CYA=150-did with the dilution test, somewhat subjective. Still sky high after a great winter of rain etc.

I added a gallon of Clorox and a little squirt of MA to soften the ph. The water still looks great. I haven't had any pucks, sticks or anything other than liquid in this pool for over 5 months now. What's the opinion?...is draining the only answer for this? Thanks.

I added a gallon of Clorox and a little squirt of MA to soften the ph. The water still looks great. I haven't had any pucks, sticks or anything other than liquid in this pool for over 5 months now. What's the opinion?...is draining the only answer for this? Thanks.
Unfortunately water replacement is the only way to lower CYA. What's your water supply situation like? If I were in your position, I'd replace half of my water.

FC SLAM level for 150 CYA is like 60. What level are you aiming for?

e2: Why don't you have cannonball parties every weekend?

Last edited:
Northern California so replacing water is not the socially acceptable thing to do in these parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to keep FC above 11.
You can do several smaller replacements over time, but again I don't know what you pay for water, or if there's any fines for dumping pool water.

The only other way is reverse osmosis, but that all depends whether or not someone in your location does that sort of thing. See this thread:
Reverse Osmosis to remove CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Frank i dont have a solution but i feel your pain.

i took over a pool store pool and had CYA of close to 400

i have battled everything i can imagine and finally got it down to 60 and refuse to drain and refill this year.

having talked to neighbors i know the previous owners battled algae several times a year and never drained. I have done over 5 drain and refills - although not in n California

i have almost thrown in the towel 10x but stick with it because once you figure it out you will laugh at how complicated you once thought it was

One last, dumb question. The water looks great and I am filling with new water as evaporation allows. I even washed my car with pool water this week. Can I expect, eventually that the CYA will get down in the 40 range using this method? My numbers this morning were:
FC=9.5
CC=0
ph=7.8
TA=100
CH=250
CYA=120

I added 7oz M. Acid and half a bottle of Clorox. Thanks for putting up with me!

I drained for approximately 3hrs Saturday using garden hose then refilled. Also had two 12 year olds going crazy for a couple of hours splashing water. I'm making some progress...today's readings are FC=10.5, CC=0, TA=100, PH=7.7, CYA=110 (checked twice). Will add 1/2 gallon of bleach today, water still looks great. PoolMath still says replace 50% but I can't do that all at once. Am I on the right track? Any long term effect in using so much chlorine? Thanks.

I drained for approximately 3hrs Saturday using garden hose then refilled. Also had two 12 year olds going crazy for a couple of hours splashing water. I'm making some progress...today's readings are FC=10.5, CC=0, TA=100, PH=7.7, CYA=110 (checked twice). Will add 1/2 gallon of bleach today, water still looks great. PoolMath still says replace 50% but I can't do that all at once. Am I on the right track? Any long term effect in using so much chlorine? Thanks.
You're doing good. Keep plugging away on replacing water while keeping the higher FC level.

You shouldn't have any long term effects with the high FC with the CYA also being high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.