LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So, I've had a nylon sock filled with granular stabilizer hanging in front of a return jet for a week and it's barely dissolved (the water is 46f).

In an effort to add CYA faster (because I'm impatient), I put some in a jug, added hot water and stirred vigorously and left it out overnight in my kitchen and it also barely dissolved.

While in the kitchen, my eye was drawn to my 3.5hp (more than my pool pump) blender. I present to you, CYA smoothie. It was nicely dissolved and added to the pool.

PXL_20220414_165716953.jpg
PXL_20220414_165807694.jpg

Last edited:
I usually pour two pounds of Stabilizer into a 5-gallon bucket, 2/3 full. Stir it vigorously with a long-handled brush, like a heavy-duty back scratcher, wait an hour, stir again, wait another hour....stir again...and then SLOWLY pour into the skimmer, stirring and adding more water as I go..... Been doing it this way for years....works perfectly.

I've never really had an issue just doing the sock, even with cold water. But I will say that I do a lot of squeezing. Let it soak for 30 mins or so, and then squeeze squeeze squeeze often over the next few hours. Hands in the water becomes less pleasant when the water is cold. :D

Hang sock securely from a pipe or metal rod. Make sure the sock you're using is in decent shape, then
after a bit of a soak, use your hose nozzle to spray the sock underwater. Don't blast it too hard!
I sit on the deck and watch all the cool cloud shapes come poofing out. Yes, I am very easily amused and
this is a trifecta. CYA is added quickly. Water level is raised. I have a great time goofing around with the hose
and CYA. What a life! 🐟

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
I don't get the rush, ever. I chucked my socks in the skimmers and came back the next day. They squeezed out in the pool in no time and it was FUN to do it swimming around. Holding the bag close to the return made an underwater flamethrower of CYA cloud. Come and get it wussy sun !!!! Wooooooooooosh.

What I have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for suns like you. If you leave my FC alone, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you.......

• Haha
Reactions: Lilypad and Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.