CYA values

Nanifen

Jun 10, 2020
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi. I’m back. 😀. Things are going well and my alkalinity is slowly dropping.
New question. I did pool school and I get free chlorine, total chlorine and cc. My question involves CYA. I know it’s like sunscreen for chlorine but help me understand why too much is bad? What does it cause?

A certain amount of the chlorine is bound by the CYA chemically. As the CYA gets higher, a higher amount of CL is needed to perform the same level of sanitation. By this famous chart we all like to quote: FC/CYA Levels
If the CYA gets too high then the bulk of the chlorine it is bound up by the CYA and you reach a point of diminishing return.. there is not enough CL to properly sanitize it. That is the layman's explanation.. the Hardcore Chemistry explanation is in the Deep End forums.

Reactions: Nanifen and Msch99
A certain amount of the chlorine is bound by the CYA chemically. As the CYA gets higher, a higher amount of CL is needed to perform the same level of sanitation. By this famous chart we all like to quote: FC/CYA Levels
If the CYA gets too high then the bulk of the chlorine it is bound up by the CYA and you reach a point of diminishing return.. there is not enough CL to properly sanitize it. That is the layman's explanation.. the Hardcore Chemistry explanation is in the Deep End forums.
Thank you. I like layman’s terms just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.