CYA through the roof due to wrong pool volume — can I calculate the real size?

momspool1

Jul 15, 2022
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently took over the care of my family’s pool, and have discovered that its volume is much smaller than what I was told because the CYA level is currently sitting at 90 after I put enough chemical in to get it just under 40.

My question is, can I reverse calculate the actual volume of the pool based on this number?

My mom told me it was 38000 gal and I put in 5.4kg (11.9lbs) of CYA using the sock method, aiming for just below 40 because I need to SLAM it. The CYA was fully dissolved this past Sunday, so I think it should be fully mixed by now. Today’s CYA reading was 90.

The pool is 36 x 18 with a max depth of 8 (my mom used 36x18x8 to get the volume 20 years ago, not taking the shallow end into consideration). She thinks the shallow end is 3 to 3.5.
I used an online pool volume calculator (input 3 for shallow, 8 for deep) and got 26700 gal. I input this volume into my poolmath app and the CYA still shouldn’t be so high.

I fiddled with various volumes in poolmath and a 16000 gal pool would get CYA 90 after the amount I put in.
Should I use this as my working volume for the pool moving forwards?
I am going to do a partial drain and refill tonight to lower the CYA level, but I want to know the best way to estimate the volume so that moving forward I can avoid this issue of adding incorrect amounts of chemicals.

Thanks for your your input!

Did you test for CYA level before the addition of the 12lbs? What was the pool being chlorinated with, pucks, liquid, SWG?

Quite a bit more reliable and accurate to just do the math. 36 x 18 x5 (average depth) yields about 24k.
If you have “shelves” at certain depths then average is probably good enough but if you wanted more precision you could measure depth at 2ft increments (or smaller if you can be bothered) and add them up.
Eg if you had a 6ft wide shelf of 8ft deep
2 x 18 x 8 +
2 x 18 x 8 +
2 x 18 x 8 +
2 x 18 x 7 etc…

Don’t forget to multiply the whole result by 7.481 (cubic ft to gallons)
This assumes a rectangular pool :)

Unfortunately too late but this is why an incremental approach to adding chemicals is preferable. I add CYA in one pound increments. In your case, knowing that there was no CYA in the water, I probably would have added 5 pounds or so to start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.