CYA Test -- Need Help -- Cloudy Water After 6 Days

geno1005

Aug 30, 2015
Berea, KY
I'm on the sixth day of being unable to clear my pool water. I'm trying to maintain my chlorine levels at shock level, however I'm having trouble figuring out how to get an accurate CYA reading. Instructions say that the CYA level is when the little dot at the bottom disappears. Problem seems to be that the water is so cloudy it's reading a much higher level than I think it really is. Not knowing how to check it otherwise, I went out and bought test strips which indicate my CYA is next to non-existent, which instinctively seems more correct based on just opening the pool and it being full of winter rain water.

So what am I missing with the CYA test? Won't the cloudy water cause the little dot to disappear--regardless of CYA or not? Without confidence in the CYA level, I'm not sure what level I'm seeking to shock it. Getting more than a little frustrated in trying to clear this up.

I'm 24 hours into my second treatment of clarifier. At this point I still see blue...I can see all three steps and can make out the light...but not even a hint of the drain at the 8 foot level.

Inground pool, 16x32, 3x by 8x, vinyl liner. PH seems to be 7.4...alkalinity is 90...CYA??? I'm not sure. Has cleared right up every other year...green cleared up by the next day, but I got to my current level of visibility in about three days, and I'm only marginally better...if any...three days later.

Any wisdom?

Try this ......

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Thank you....have gotten so side tracked with other cloudy water issues that I haven't had time to get back to it. The pool has been a nightmare this year...and don't know why. Ready to order 20 truckloads of dirt and a bulldozer and be done!

Reactions: Lizzard6975
Try this: go out to the pool with your viewtube and plunge it in and get it full of pool water. Then go look for the dot.

If you see the dot -- and I'm betting you will -- then the pool cloudiness is not affecting the CYA test.

Test stripreviews, Ph Strip vs drop test, severe discrepancy (pic)

One step at a time. Proper testing is #1. So post a full set of results tomorrow as follows:
FC
CC
CYA
PH
TA
CH

Add nothing to the water but regular bleach which is essentially chlorine. Please add which test kit you are using to your signature as well so we can help walk you through any testing issues. We'll help you through this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.