CYA seems high

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
Opened a couple weekends ago with water temps in the 50s, and a broken pump. Pump is now replaced, and I checked my CYA level yesterday and it came out to 70. I did let the water warm up to room temperature in the house before checking. 70 seems high to me after sitting all winter and I closed at 70.

I think I put this in the wrong part of the forum, if a mod wants to move it to testing, that's would be good!!!

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
70 seems high to me after sitting all winter and I closed at 70.
Yes Mark, you would think that at least a minimal amount of CYA would've depleted over the last few months. Well, maybe you have that "magic CYA" that is resilient to laws of physics? :) I'd not worry too much about it and move forward with the testing results you are showing today. Have a nice weekend.

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
Yes Mark, you would think that at least a minimal amount of CYA would've depleted over the last few months. Well, maybe you have that "magic CYA" that is resilient to laws of physics? :) I'd not worry too much about it and move forward with the testing results you are showing today. Have a nice weekend.
Thanks Pat! I do worry too much, but it gives me something to do......LOL. You have a good weekend too!

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
I guess I missed it on the first check about a month ago. I been losing FC pretty quick so I rechecked CYA today, and I'm getting about 40. Water is clear, no CCs, just been sunny here for a while and I been using bleach, not SWG until the water gets warmer. I still hate that test...........:cool:

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Mine goes down from the usual 50 to around 30 every year between May and July first.
No idea why or how.

I'd be quite pleased if it just stayed at 50 year round.