CYA results from WaterGuru TEST

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
Just a quick intro. I have had WaterGuru for a little over a month now. Seems consistent enough to help me increase the interval in which I use my FAS-DPD test for Chlorine.
I sent in the TEST lab sample right after I got it and just got the results back. Everything looks to be similar to what my test results show with the Tayor kit except for the CYA. I have always hated this test and questioned the accuracy of my results even though I followed the testing process perfectly several times. My results show about 35-40 for CYA. The lab test results came back at 16!! On one hand I want to beleive the Taylor test results but on the other hand this would really explain why I have had such high chlorine demand the last 2 years.
If you have gotten the TEST results back from WaterGuru what has your experience been with how it aligns to the Taylor kit?

I would trust your Taylor results.
Have u ever used the cya standard solution to help u better interpret the turbidity test results?
@IceShadow has some experience w/ the guru system.

Are there any other reliable CYA tests that are easier to interpret?
The best available test for the residential pool owner is the test you use.
Really? Even in Michigan?
Sure, I do not know your conditions. Sun exposure, bather load, organic load from trees, etc. You might be able to lower your FC usage by some by increasing your CYA to 50 ppm.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Your signature does not show what test kit you are using. I assume it is Taylor kit.

You can trust whatever data you like. We will only provide guidance based on pool owner completed testing using a proper test kit.

Why do I feel like I am using twice as much chlorine as everyone else I ever talk to?
Whoooooooooooooooooooa there buddy !!!! Never EVER compare yourselves to ‘other pools’. They are horribly underchlorinated and way over CYA-d. They will be green or cloudy more often than not.

If you have several neighbors with identical sun/shade/swimmers, *and* they follow TFP to the word……. Then you may compare notes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know what your saying. Do you also agree that 3.5-4 ppm per day is normal for a sunny day with an average amount of swimming
In the peak season, with the longest days possible right now, Yes. It can be very normal.

I had it all through May and June. Although during those months I get a ton of tree pollen
You could always try raising the CYA by 10. You very well could be reading the horribly subjective test wrong. I’m convinced we all see something different and the best we can hope for is to be close. But if it was lower than you thought you could easily burn through more FC.

Are you using a solar cover to help the heater ? A solar cover would certainly lower the FC demand.

Have you seen my other posts ? One of my go-to responses *anytime* anyone suspects *anything* is amiss………. is to Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Rule out algae as the possible cause to a suspected higher FC demand. Once algae isn’t a threat and growing exponentially as we concoct other ideas, we aren’t nearly as concerned if it takes a week to figure out.

Reactions: Mdragger88
@Newdude I dont use a solar cover this time of year. water typically stays at 82 without it. We have a darker liner which I think contributes to higher temps overall and some localized higher temps by the liner that I suspect may also increase chlorine demand.
I have done the OCLT a few times, most recently about a month ago when I had about .6 PPM loss in about a 12 hour sunless time span overnight. I believe the procedure says anything under 1ppm is fine.

Reactions: Newdude
With a few passed OCLTs and no cover ( and excellent staying on top of it BTW (y)) you either have a seemingly high for Michigan, but still normal FC demand, or your CYA is somehow being tested higher than it actually is.

Raising it by 10 won't increase your added FC by all that much and it will undo itself in a month or two with regular degradation and rain if it doesn't help. You'd know in a few days if the FC held better.

I don't personally put much stock in phosphates. 940 isn't even necessarily high. They can in fact matter for some pools but they are the exception and not the rule. Typically you would need alot of storm runoff dumping into the pool with all kinds of organic matter being added. You mentioned pollen too but that is something most of us get assaulted with also.

I'd bump the CYA.

I bumped CYA by 10. This actually seems to have helped quite a bit after a week or two of observation. I am thinking my CYa was lower than I thought. Seems weird. The CYA test seems like it would be easier to mistake a higher reading than it would be to mistake a lower reading. I could not see the dot at all at the 40 mark even if I put my eye right up by the tube.

Reactions: Newdude
Rest assured it foils us all. But you really only need to be close (within 10). Your regular testing (hint, hint) will identify any trends and let you adjust as necessary, As proven here.

Those who slack with the testing get no warning until it’s all pea soup.

Well done :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.