Silver Supporter
May 30, 2020
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After 2 years of fighting high CYA, I think it’s too low now. I mark it at 30 but I can still faintly see the dot at the top. I notice I’m going through a lot of chlorine so I’m going to bump it to 40.

I know the sock method in front of the return but you’re supposed to leave the pump run for 24 hours. I don’t trust my pump due to its age so I don’t run it while someone is not here. Can I leave the CYA in the sock in the pool and turn the pump off overnight? Or should I take it out for the night and start it back up in the morning? I’m using a small amount of CYA, just 1lb to start, if that makes a difference.

Put the sock in the skimmer. When you turn off the pump, put the sock in a bucket. The next day, put it in the skimmer when the pump is running. It should dissolve pretty quickly.

Reactions: V___25
You've confused two methods of dissolving CYA.

IF you put it in the skimmer, you have to keep the pump running 24/7. This is to avoid water sitting in the skimmer and becoming very acidic from the CYA. Sending that bolus of acidic water to your pump/gaskets when you do turn the pump back on is hard on the equipment.

If you hang it on a broom stick or such over the side of the pool in front of a return you don't have to do anything with the pump. It will dissolve in the water slowly, but when the pump is on and the water shoots out of the return it helps mmove it around faster. Don't let it hit the wall of the pool though.

Maddie ☮️

I don't have the patience to wait for it to get mushy. I soak mine for a full day. The next day it's thick soup in a bag. The CYA took a long time to get low, it didn't swing in a day like your FC might. It can handle another 6 hours of mid day sunshine for your sanity. Let it soak, boost the FC, walk away whistling until tomorrow.

That's actually a good point. It's going to be 90* the next few days and I'm sure the boy will want to swim. I didn't even think about the liquid. I wonder if anyone sells it locally rather than shipping it.

That liquid gold is only good if you use the complete gallon so you can rinse many times and get it all. Using a partial gallon is going at it blindly as you don't know how much actual product is being dispensed because the sludge stays at the bottom.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
According to poolmath, one gallon of liquid would increase CYA by 15. Assuming that's to be trusted, and with the dot still slightly visible up the top, giving me less than 30, 1 full gallon should be sufficient. I'll run the CYA test again before doing anything though.

The good thing about the liquid CYA is that it should show up on the CYA test as soon as it's mixed in, as opposed to solid which can take a couple of days to show up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.