Thisispool

May 31, 2019
Nyc
hi all, new here, first post and looking for advice. I’ll try to make this short, mistakes were made. So I opened my above ground pool to clear water. Tested with a strip ph and alk were spot on fc was zero. I used a whole bottle of Clorox Xtra Blue shock. No change to FC. bought liquid chlorine, put a lot of that. No change to FC. have read about “chlorine lock” and CYA problems online so I decided it was time for a real test kit. Got the k-2006. Tested CYA it was over 100 by a long shot ( test only goes up to 100) decided I needed to drain and refill. My above ground is dropped about 2 feet Into the ground so I only emptied it to the dirt line worried about a collapse. Refilled way up. CYA now reads around 70. From what I read this is still too high. I added 15oz of 10% liquid chlorine anyways tried to make it work . FC reading now .6 (point 6) and CC is reading 2.6?! Alk and PH are spot on. I have a 10 by 16 oval about 45 inches deep . Calculators tell me I’m around 3750 to 4000 gallons. If you are still reading this thank you. HeLP?!

Hi, welcome to TFP! You need to complete the SLAM Process process to eliminate the CCs. While your water may be clear, the fact that your FC drops rapidly and high CC means there is organics (most likely algae) in the water that the FC is oxidizing to clear the pool. CCs are a byproduct of the oxidation process and are continually created and further oxidized in regular pool operation as FC is depleted. The slam process gives a higher dose of chlorine over a sustained period of time so there is enough FC to finish oxidizing all the organics in the pool. While you can successfully slam a pool with a CYA of 70, it will be easier with your CYA closer to 30ppm. If you can, I would do at least one more drain and refill cycle before starting the slam process.

Ok that’s what I had gathered from reading the forums, a SLAM would require way too much chlorine. Just wanted to be sure before I drained it again. Thanks for the speedy response my kids and I appreciate it!

Reactions: zea3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.