Cya levels for SWG??

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
I have an Intex Ultra Frame with Hayward power flo lx 1 hp pump & sand filter with Hayward T cell 5 salt cell. Just opened the pool & started SLAM. I didn’t close properly last year, so it was a hot green mess. My question is, what’s the reason behind the CYA having to be so much higher on SLAM for salt pools? I haven’t even turned my salt cell on this year yet. I suppose I’m trying to keep it a little lower so that it won’t use as much chlorine since it’s a little harder to find right now. The idea in my head is that salt is irrelevant in a SLAM, so I don’t understand why it has to be higher. I am sure there’s reasoning behind it, so drown me in your knowledge ?

For a SLAM, CYA doesn’t need to be higher for a salt pool vs non-salt pool. Salt is irrelevant in this case. The recommended CYA level for a SLAM is 30ppm. After the SLAM is finished, then raise CYA to the appropriate level for your salt pool.

Ok, that was my understanding, but the SLAM post in pool school lists SWG differently, so I wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something. Thanks a ton!

Attachments

• A018E281-4AC7-4F8B-BF88-71D930787322.png
    A018E281-4AC7-4F8B-BF88-71D930787322.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 8
Ok, that was my understanding, but the SLAM post in pool school lists SWG differently, so I wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something. Thanks a ton!

I can see what you mean. The chart is just saying what the SLAM level is for a given CYA level. So if your CYA was already at normal CYA levels for a SWCG pool, then you would need to use the appropriate higher SLAM level.

I hope this post makes sense.

Reactions: Windylou
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.