Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hello TFP community,

I looking for recommendations for CYA for our pool. Currently it is at 40 and undegoing SLAM. It likely should end by tomm as water is clear, OCLT pass, CC very close to 0.5 more like 0.6. Need some sunlight as it has been cloudy for last several days.
I know the recommendation for CYA to be in 70-80. Should I follow the same for covererd pool.
How soon should I raise after SLAM.

You may find meeting in the middle suits your needs- around 60ppm cya.
You’ll have to just monitor the daily fc loss - if you can maintain fc easily at 50 or 60 cya then great 👍🏻 if not you’ll know you need a little more cya- it also depends on how often you keep the pool covered.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Should I follow the same for covererd pool.
You might be an exception to some degree. By that I mean you probable have some flexibility based on local climate condtions, intensity of sunlight, and how long you keep the pool covered. Once you complete the SLAM, I would take notes of FC consumption once you turn on the SWG again. Leave the CYA in the 40-50 range with your normal output and pump run times. See how it goes.

If you find the FC falling too much or too fast with what you believe to be a reasonable SWG output and pump run time setting, then increase the CYA in 10 ppm increments. Remember the goal of your CYA is not only to protect the FC, but also to save SWG run time. Ideally, the less you use it the longer it will last. So if that means a slightly higher CYA, it may work better for you.

In the end, if a CYA of 50 or 60 works because is predominantly covered, that's fine.

Thank you for comments. We have to keep it covered as we don’t have fence. Also it rains a lot here in Indiana at least one thunderstorm a week is given.
I will raise it to 50-60 and than monitor the loss and adjust swg accordingly.
The reason i asked is for is there was any other function of cya other than protecting chlorine.

is there was any other function of cya other than protecting chlorine.
Your top reasons:
- Protect free chlorine from the UV
- Buffering agent from the harshness of chlorine
- In the case of salt cells, help then operate more efficiently and thereby prolonging their cell life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.