CYA keeps disappearing...

Tallredrider

Jun 12, 2023
St. George, Utah
I have a newer plaster pool filled in May 2023. I have been trying to get my CYA up to 70-80 as recommended by the TFP gurus, and keep adding more liquid CYA without seeing much bump in the levels. I am not a great fan of the testing kit that asks me when the dot disappears, but I seem to be getting consistent results. I have already put in quite a bit more than what the calculator says I should have to put in.

I have read about people who got levels that were way off the charts, drained their pools completely, and then still had high levels when they refilled with fresh water. This suggests the CYA can leach into the plaster, which is what I think is happening in my case.

My plan is to go risk getting 'Pool stored' and having them test my water and see if the results are consistent. Then keep adding gradually until I finally get the right amount in the water. So far, I have added about 50% more than what was calculated and haven't achieved goal yet. Is there any harm in that? Is there anything else I should think of?

Other chemicals seem to react perfectly in line with the pool calculator, so I am confident I have the pool capacity just right.

I have a newer plaster pool filled in May 2023. I have been trying to get my CYA up to 70-80 as recommended by the TFP gurus, and keep adding more liquid CYA without seeing much bump in the levels. I am not a great fan of the testing kit that asks me when the dot disappears, but I seem to be getting consistent results. I have already put in quite a bit more than what the calculator says I should have to put in.

I have read about people who got levels that were way off the charts, drained their pools completely, and then still had high levels when they refilled with fresh water. This suggests the CYA can leach into the plaster, which is what I think is happening in my case.

My plan is to go risk getting 'Pool stored' and having them test my water and see if the results are consistent. Then keep adding gradually until I finally get the right amount in the water. So far, I have added about 50% more than what was calculated and haven't achieved goal yet. Is there any harm in that? Is there anything else I should think of?

Other chemicals seem to react perfectly in line with the pool calculator, so I am confident I have the pool capacity just right.
The pool store isn’t any better at measuring than you are. For real.

What are you measuring now? It’s totally fine if it’s 50, 60, 70, or 80. Nothing terrible happens at any of those values.

The liquid CYA can be hard to use because it tends to solidify at the bottom and if you use less than a full bottle it registers low on testing. Then when you add more to increase it, the sludge at the bottom pushes you way over the top.

TFP recommends using granular stabilizer for that reason. It also has a side benefit of being much cheaper.

Reactions: DanF
It is at 50 and didn't budge after adding enough to get me to 70. I did try and shake it up as best I could. The pool does not see heavy use and my chlorine levels have been rock solid. I also have not had any algae. So mostly I am just treating the test, not the pool. Not a bad idea to be happy at 50 and leave it alone.

When you use liquid stabilizer shake the bottle up and pour it into the pool.

Then fill the bottle halfway up with water and shake again. Pour the milky white liquid into the pool. Repeat until the water being poured is clear.

That gets all the stabilizer out of the jug into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.