CYA issue, jumped from 30-60

Eaaaaaagle

Jun 14, 2023
Woodbine, NJ
We purchased our home last august and got a month of pool use before closing. The pool has a frog xl pro thing on it that had canisters we were using. This year we opened and when I went to replace them I started doing more research. First I noticed the mineral section was empty so figured it was largely unnecessary. I went and bought the recommended chemicals and a taylor 2006c kit. The first thing I noticed is the strips are waaayyyy off compared to test results. My main issue though is I had CYA at 30 so pool math recommended two pounds of dry stabilizer. I went with about 1.5 to be safe. So I started that process in a sock on Sunday night in the skimmer. I then switched to hanging it in front of a return because it was more effective. So by Monday morning it was dissolved. This morning I checked and CYA was at about 60, I redid the test in better lighting and it was around 52ish. Now I'm freaking out that I added too much and not sure what to do. I have a Jandy sand filter if that makes any difference. Should I just wait and see? Should I drain and refill?

Other numbers comparing yesterday morning and today:

FC 3.5 // 2
PH 7.8 // 8
ta 110 // 130

It is a 18,000 gallon gunnite pool.

I added chlorine and muriatric acid also this morning.

We purchased our home last august and got a month of pool use before closing. The pool has a frog xl pro thing on it that had canisters we were using. This year we opened and when I went to replace them I started doing more research. First I noticed the mineral section was empty so figured it was largely unnecessary. I went and bought the recommended chemicals and a taylor 2006c kit. The first thing I noticed is the strips are waaayyyy off compared to test results. My main issue though is I had CYA at 30 so pool math recommended two pounds of dry stabilizer. I went with about 1.5 to be safe. So I started that process in a sock on Sunday night in the skimmer. I then switched to hanging it in front of a return because it was more effective. So by Monday morning it was dissolved. This morning I checked and CYA was at about 60, I redid the test in better lighting and it was around 52ish. Now I'm freaking out that I added too much and not sure what to do. I have a Jandy sand filter if that makes any difference. Should I just wait and see? Should I drain and refill?

Other numbers comparing yesterday morning and today:

FC 3.5 // 2
PH 7.8 // 8
ta 110 // 130

It is a 18,000 gallon gunnite pool.

I added chlorine and muriatric acid also this morning.
We round up 52 to 60 anyway so not big deal. Just make sure the chlorine level stays at the chart recommendation for CYA 60.

Hint: Just fill the CYA test tube up to each decade number of 60, 50, 40, etc and see when it disappears. Don’t bother trying to interpolate 52 or 48. Totally unnecessary.

We round up 52 to 60 anyway so not big deal. Just make sure the chlorine level stays at the chart recommendation for CYA 60.

Hint: Just fill the CYA test tube up to each decade number of 60, 50, 40, etc and see when it disappears. Don’t bother trying to interpolate 52 or 48. Totally unnecessary.
thanks for the help

Your username brought me a smile on a day when I needed it. THANKS.

View attachment 503819
Haha my favorite show. Love when somebody gets the reference

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.