CYA is way too low - Advice please!

Thanks ping.. I'll have the kids wait.

Observation - I noticed my "chlorine only" vial was getting cloudy. I wiped it out with a paper towel and there was black stuff on the towel. What do you make of that? I'm getting nervous that I've got something really, really bad in there. :shock:

I seem to recall hearing that this is a normal reaction to the test chemicals, and the reason it has its own vial. Unless it becomes opaque it shouldn't affect the readings.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

I'm at FC 18.5 right now after brushing and backwashing and it's dark. I'm topping off the pool and will bring to 20, so help me God.

I did notice there was cloudy (milky) water in the reservoir thing... that you take the lid off and clean the basket out right before the pump. (sorry..) It is clear right now - we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Will continue the slam process!

Added 62 oz of bleach tonite.. we'll see if it holds. I'm doubtful. :roll:

:party: :party: :party: :party:

FC 20.5 at 4:21 am
TC 21.0
TA 60
CH 420 (CH sure jumped up in 2 days....)
PH 8.2
SALT 3300
TEMP - 84
CSI .29
CYA - Wait for sun.......

PC says:

18 oz MA
38 oz BS
Replace 17% water
64 oz Stabilizer

While in the SLAM process don't test for anything other than the FC and CC. The pH will not be accurate and will measure high when you are above 10 ppm FC. After you have passed all three of the requirements of SLAMming, seems you have, let the FC drop to normal levels and then you can make the necessary adjustments. Looking at those numbers, I would not raise the TA, or remove water to reduce the CH, and only raise your CYA to 70-80 range when you get the other numbers balanced where you want them.

Thanks ping. I suppose the 110 degree sun rays all day long will lower the FC somewhat. So.. I will wait it out (except for brushing..)

This is my first pool to be in charge of. I didn't realize the rain, daily swarms of swimmers, and 2 dogs would throw my chemicals & cleaning routine so far out of whack. This whole time my pool water looked clear... but it wasn't sparkly, and had a sticky feel to it.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience here... :lovetfp: :testkit:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
7:15 pm

FC 15.5 (over 100 degrees today - full sun.)
TC 16

So, I'm a little concerned about the CH. At the water level, in the grout line there is the dreaded white stuff in nearly all the tiles (exception would be near the spillway and grotto tiles) I guess that will be my next task. :oops:

I'm not doing anything until the FC drops..

FC 11
TC 11.5
CH 290 re-tested just to calm my nerves. I saw that I had multiplied the drops the OTHER day by 25 instead of 10
CYA - 55 PC says to add more stabilizer

QUESTION - Since there is a range for the CYA, would it be better to stay at the lower value?

PS - Since I needed to add ALOT of stabilizer yesterday, instead of a sock in the skimmer, I used the extra bag from the polaris. I tied it shut with a rope and tied it to a chair by the skimmer. I could fit more granules in there.

Thank you for getting thru my first SLAM!

Thanks ping. I think I'll shoot for the 70 range since I'm not really confident on the size of my irregular pool. It's free form with a grotto, ledge etc.

Since you have completed the SLAM and your water is crystal clear, you simply let your FC drift down to the 3-5 range appropriatte for you CYA level and SWG.

Then, enjoy the pool the rest of the swim season.

Test your water for just FC every day for the next few days to make sure your SWG is producing the right amount of chlorine to maintain that FC level.

Do one more complete set of tests 5-7 days from now to see if things have changed.

Happy swimming! :goodjob:

Checking in -

PH 7.8 (unreliable result)
FC 13.5
TC 14
TA 80
CH 320
CYA 65
SALT - 3350 (easytouch reading)
TEMP 84 degrees

Since I haven't added any bleach, I guess I need to adjust the swg? Oh boy...

Pump comes from 9am to 4pm.

Circuit 1 setting is: 50% pool mode, 2% spa mode

Circuit 2 setting is Superchlorinate 0% pool mode, 0% spa mode

Thank you..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.