CYA is disappearing, chlorine doesn't hold, no ammonia in pool...

karlyc

Apr 17, 2016
PEKIN
Hi guys! I am STRUGGLING this year with our new chlorine vinyl liner 36k gallon pool.

Specifically, I can not get CYA to hold in the pool. We're not diluting the pool, safety cover is on if it rains, we don't need to backwash often, etc. We have tested at varying levels of CYA one day (both at home with a reagent kit and in multiple local pool stores) ranging from 30 to 50 one day and then it will be ZERO days later. This has happened twice now. The local pool stores keep telling me not to worry about it, because once it's in the pool it doesn't go away and that it must be in the water somewhere. I'd roll with that except we also can't hold chlorine.

Last week we tested and our chlorine had a huge spread (something like 4ppm) so we shocked with 6 lbs shock + 6 gal liquid chlorine. Two days later we shocked with 8. Two days later we shocked with 5. Two days later we shocked with 3. This is all based on the math from multiple pool stores and their readings all mostly matched mine with the reagent kit.

Last night I shocked again with 3lbs and woke up this morning to TC 7, FC 7, PH 7.1, alk 180, and CYA 0. The chlorine was completely gone by noon and we have 6 tablets in the skimmer (only supposed to do 4, but getting desperate).

The water is cloudy enough that you can sort of make out the drains on the deep end if you squint and know where to look...sometimes it's worse, but never better. It's been this way for going over 3 weeks. It's not green at all.

Phosphates are testing under 200. I went to the pet store and got ammonia strips yesterday and they were negative for ammonia.

I added 10 pounds of stabilizer upon opening the pool back in April and have since added another 2.5 pounds.

So, I'm looking for thoughts on where my CYA might be going, whether I should just keep adding more, and any other tips you might have...

Thank you so much...really at my wits end here!

Even with all of the "bombing" you've done to the water so far, my first question would be, "What test kit do you use at home?" If it's not a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, we can't be sure of your results. We need to see a full set of test results from one of those kits first. Also be sure to update your signature. See mine as an example.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.