CYA is always ZERO....

Dallz

May 14, 2017
Montreal Quebec
This is the 3rd time I post here and really need some help. I have followed all the advice I received so far, I feel like I am somewhat getting somewhere and better equipped but still need you experts out there!!

I now have th TAYLOR K2006 kit at home, super excited here is my first reading:

FC 1.2
CC 0.4
PH 7.4
ALKALINITY 70
CYA ZERO

MY POOL IS CRYSTAL CLEAR. That is not my issue. It ONLY turns cloudy when I add chlorine.

I have had 4 pucks with stabilizer floating for 3 weeks (they don't dissolve because pool is at 66f). It's still early here in the pool season for Montreal Canada.

No matter what I do, i can;t raise my CYA. FC Chlorine does not last in my pool for more than a day or 2, and it's not even warm out yet!

I put a Stabilizer puck in skimmer, even with that, no CYA...

Suggestions Please?

A few pucks is not nearly enough CYA. Don't try to do this with pucks. Use PoolMath and calculate your dosage of CYA (probably about 6-8 lbs) and put it in your pool.

Immediately after that, start keeping your chlorine up around 4-6 ppm....you are currently wa-a-a--ay too low

Pucks in colder water are a slow way to add CYA in the beginning. You need to pick up some CYA (stabilizer) from a local store like Canadian Tire. Over time, pucks do raise the CYA but it can take a couple of weeks or more if the pucks aren't dissolving.

When you say stabilizer puck, are you referring to a chlorine puck? If so, that won't add a lot of CYA, and because your CYA is low the chlorine that the puck adds will burn up fast.

Assuming you are testing CYA correctly and it is actually 0, you should add some granular/powder stabilizer. Use Pool Math to figure out how much you need to get to 30 CYA. Put the CYA into a sock or panty hose and let it dissolve in front of a return - it will take some time to dissolve and mix w/ the water. I would also use the calculator to figure out how much bleach you need to add to bring your FC up to between 4-6 (the proper amount of FC based on 30 CYA). Keep in mind that while you are waiting for the CYA to kick in you may see a quicker loss in FC since it isn't "protected" by the CYA.

Each 8 ounce puck only raises the CYA level in your size pool by 2 ppm. So until you have completely dissolved 15 of them you are not going to get a reading. Nothing to be surprised about, it is all right in PoolMath.

Thanks! The pool store told me its metals, minerals, then copper...I've spent SO MUCH MONEY!
I will go to Canadian tire and buy stabilizer and put in the pool.

I read Pool school 10 times, I understand now but what I can't figure out is how to use the pool math calculator. When I put my values in it doesn't change.

Can someone help me figure out how much stabilizer and or FC granular chlorine to put in to get it up at 4?
Pool info in my signature

Reactions: alilsalty
Thanks! The pool store told me its metals, minerals, then copper...I've spent SO MUCH MONEY!
I will go to Canadian tire and buy stabilizer and put in the pool.

I read Pool school 10 times, I understand now but what I can't figure out is how to use the pool math calculator. When I put my values in it doesn't change.

Can someone help me figure out how much stabilizer and or FC granular chlorine to put in to get it up at 4?
Pool info in my signature
1.3 kg of plain stabilizer will add 20 CYA. 1.95 kg will add 30 CYA. Don't add any more than that now, because there may be some traces in there already.

How much granular chlorine depends on knowing exactly which granular chlorine it is. There's dichlor, trichlor, lithium hypochlorite, and at least four strengths of Calcium Hypochlorite. And you know we don't recommend any of them for routine chlorination, right?

Study up on this how-to so you can calculate doses yourself. Pool School - PoolMath We won't be constantly telling you what to add. If you want that, go to the pool store. We want you to be able to do it yourself.

Add 2 Kg by weight, or 2.1L by volume of stabilizer.

FC is a little tougher because we don't know the strength of the Bleach you will be using AND there is a chance your FC has changed since you last measured.

Make sure you put in your current levels under the NOW column and what you want to level to be in the GOAL column. Then click elsewhere on the screen or click calculate. You can hover over the amounts and at the top (or bottom) of the calculator it will give you a more specific amount.

You can of course change from U.S. to metric.

The goal is to do it myself, I just joined a few days ago and I am new to the pool world completely!
I ordered my test kit and I am constantly reading up on everything, it may seem simple to you guys but it's a whole new world for me and I am taking it all in. I appreciate the responses and I will try to figure out the pool math calculator as well...

1.3 kg of plain stabilizer will add 20 CYA. 1.95 kg will add 30 CYA. Don't add any more than that now, because there may be some traces in there already.

How much granular chlorine depends on knowing exactly which granular chlorine it is. There's dichlor, trichlor, lithium hypochlorite, and at least four strengths of Calcium Hypochlorite. And you know we don't recommend any of them for routine chlorination, right?

Study up on this how-to so you can calculate doses yourself. Pool School - PoolMath We won't be constantly telling you what to add. If you want that, go to the pool store. We want you to be able to do it yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA is considered to be an add one time thing. It will slowwwly breakdown but it takes months to lose a few points. That's why chlorine tablets and certain powders are not good for long term use. The CYA keeps building up and soon you can't maintain a proper FC/CYA ratio.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.