CYA/FC ratio?

Daveacksh

Aug 11, 2022
Montreal
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi everyone. Can someone provide a CHEMICAL explanation for why increased CYA levels require MORE free chlorine that the recommended 1-3ppm? It doesn't make sense to me why chlorine/hypochlorite would stop working in the presence of elevated CYA. I've watched the videos, read all the articles.. I haven't found an actual CHEMICAL explanation. My pool is ~11000 gallons (~41000L). I clean it regularly, keep visible debris to a minimum, vacuum at least once a week, do my best to keep pH, alkalinity, etc in the recommended ranges. However, my CYA is currently ~110 ppm (due to puck usage all summer). I use a metal free algicide once a week (~100 mL) and usually add about 100g of Cal-Hypo every week. I keep the alkalinity in check with sodium bicarbonate and the pH in check with sodium bisulfate (it only ever needs to be lowered, a phenomenon which I understand). I have had ZERO problems with algae or anything. My water is crystal clear, no smells, etc. I understand that Calcium (currently ~280ppm) and CYA will continually increase over the season with this routine and partial drain/refills will be required if they get to high before the winter closing, but again... WHY do elevated CYA levels supposedly require more free chlorine? Thanks for any insight!

I realize that you state that you’ve read all of the articles, but here’s one that goes into the chemistry. It includes links to the references if you want to dive deeper. I’m no chemist, so other than recognizing that there’s a CYA/FC relationship, I’ve not dug any deeper.

See this article:

It has a lot of the chemistry in it and citations to other scientific articles and forum posts with more in-depth explanations. Mostly it has to do with how much chlorine is free to sanitize, in HOCl form.

EDIT: Wow, double ninja-ed

Also the article in the wiki page is gone, but there's a new one from the same source here with the same info:

Ok thank you! All of these explain things in a way that is finally satisfying.

Basically, high levels of CYA/trichlor can decrease HOCl concentration (which is not specifically tested for), so with elevated CYA/trichlor in your pool, you may not have adequate HOCl.

Thanks again! Feel free to chime in if you have more insight!

Last edited:
Reactions: IceShadow
Maybe a deeper rabbit hole than you want to crawl into, maybe not:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.