CYA FC confusion

So while I'm slamming my cc is around 1. I have about a half bottle of phos out left that I couldnt return. Does it make sense to put it in the pool while I'm slamming to take the algaes food away?

Slamming a little over a week now. Seems to be going good, water looks great.

Trying to get past the ONCL test now. lowest loss so far -3.5 CC is zero so I feel i am ALMOST there.

Testing CYA today, had my daughter do it with me to get a second set of eyes. She saw 50, and 55. I saw 55 and 60. Do I just stick with 60, do an average, or 55 since x2??? like the title says cya confusion...

Well, none of our charts have a reading ending in 5, so the safest thing is to go with 60.

Generally when someone has clear water, low CC and having problems passing OCLT it a hidden pocket of algae. Look in ladders, behind lights or anywhere you might have missed brushing.

Someone may need to talk me off the ledge.

Hopped in today and brushed everywhere...
Took filter apart chemically cleaned....
Put back together I notice theres a crack (hairline) where the hose adapter screws in to the body of the Waterways widemouth skimmer. Took it apart, dripping more...took it apart again, put a bunch of duct tape to pull the crack together,then screw hose adapter back in, not dripping too much.
Now I seem to get a whole lot of bubbles in my pump basket which I cant figure out. Does it haves something to do with the crack?

And if i dont pass the OCLT after all the work today, i may be on the ledge:mad:

I returned 160.00 worth of their garbage today to them (phos out, algecide, shock) so at least I have that :D

I figure if i can get the CYA to around 60 i can work with that for this year. Then I plan on replacing my skimmer next (or close of this season), and I'll have to do a big drain then.

Putting about 6 inches of water back in now then will slam it.
60 would be wonderful. I started at over 200 and worked it down. Just stay on top of the FC to make sure you don't go green.

Someone may need to talk me off the ledge.

Hopped in today and brushed everywhere...
Took filter apart chemically cleaned....
Put back together I notice theres a crack (hairline) where the hose adapter screws in to the body of the Waterways widemouth skimmer. Took it apart, dripping more...took it apart again, put a bunch of duct tape to pull the crack together,then screw hose adapter back in, not dripping too much.
Now I seem to get a whole lot of bubbles in my pump basket which I cant figure out. Does it haves something to do with the crack?

And if i dont pass the OCLT after all the work today, i may be on the ledge:mad:
Sorry. There is probably a direct relationship between a crack in the skimmer line and air in the pump strainer. You've got a suction side air leak.

There's always this :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so I drained my water down below the skimmer, removed old skimmer, and put new one on.....

Once I added water back, my numbers are

FC 8
CC 0
TA 160
PH 7.2
CYA 60

I really thought my CYA and TA would have dropeed, but it doesnt seem to have. Rainy day here in the burgh, maybe thats why??

So, gonna finish my slam, hope to pas the overnight loss soon.

Should I go ahead and add 61 oz of borax to bring my PH up while I'm at it since i have a good ph number (i.e. tested with FC under 10)?

Thing that ticks me off is my ta was around 80 and pool store had me raise it:mad:

Though the pool store advice was probably wrong, it's possible that you have static electricity on your R-0009 dropper tip for the TA test. If the drops are squirting out and not forming larger drops that hang before dropping from the tip, then wipe the tip with a damp cloth first.

Passed the overnight test.

Numbers are now. 7.6 ph 150 ta 60 cya.
Anything else I need?
so we have clear water, CC less than .5 and passed OCLT....

Seems like you are done.

Maintain FC based on your CYA of 60

Muratic acid to bring the pH in line when it gets too high. These additions on acid will bring down the TA slowly also.

Oh, you need the adult beverages Richard suggested, a pool float to lie on and time to relax and savor a job well done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.